• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Modified image which doesn't actually appear in the ID file anywhere.

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a freelance artworker (been using ID for 20 years now, so relatively experienced) and I do work for a company where there is one guy that runs the studio.

He sent me an InDesign file (and many other files since it seems based on this) which, when I open the file, warns me there is a modified image. However, when I open the file this image doesn't appear anywhere in the document at all. You can see from the screenshot that it doesn't show as appearing on a page and the paste board.

There are no hidden layers or anything like that. It really annoying and it's every file he sends me but he doesn't understand how it's happened.

He would have originally placed it using a third party plugin called 'Canto'. I originally didn't use the plugin, but have since started using it now... but in both circumstances, I had the same issue.

I've even tried deleting every page and inserted new ones, i've deleted the master pages and added new ones, and still the issue persists.

Can anyone shed any light on what may be causing the issue?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Try to export the file as idml

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to export the file as idml

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

a very strange issue indeed.

Could you make the document available that is only showing this image in the Links panel?

All other contents could be removed. Just put it on Dropbox or a similar service and post the download link.

I'd like to have a look by scripting.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe, file has been added now.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never personally used Canto but have read about how it works. I am inclined to think that it's use—which apparently deals with placing images from Canto libaries—could possibly create your situation. It seems possible that an after image from a previously deleted graphic could remain if, as you said, you initially opened the document without Canto installed. If the document was then saved prior to your later installing Canto then I think the missing image would already be a part of the file and now having the plug-in wouldn't matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

thank you for the document.

Opened file Modified images not in file.indd with InDesign 2020 version 15.1.1.103 on Windows 10.

Exported to IDML. Opened the IDML file in the same version of InDesign and the three missing links were gone.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines