Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Modifying INSIDE Margins

Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm trying to increase my INSIDE margins to 23 (from 12.7).

When I go into FILE - DOCUMENT SETUP and make that change, it increases the Inside margin on the Right pages - but increases the OUTSIDE margin on the Left pages.

What gives? I need both Insides modified (in order to keep my images from getting buried in the spine).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

[3] Add one page to master A.

For that select the page on master spread A and use the context menu to get the Master Page Options. From my German InDesign:

AddMasterPage-MasterPageOptions-1.PNG

Change the number of pages from "1" to "2":

AddMasterPage-MasterPageOptions-2.PNG

Result:

AddMasterPage-MasterPageOptions-3.PNG

All pages where master A is applied are now "repaired" :

AddMasterPage-MasterPageOptions-4.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show a screenshot of your pages panel, especially this spread? It looks like the 2 pages act as right pages. Did you move them (unintentionally) on the right side of the spine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the attachment—it shows the issue clearly.

Does the left hand page have an override? What happens if you reapply the master page? On that note, are the left/right master pages picking up the change correctly?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No screen shot. Did you use the image icon?

Capture d’écran 2020-06-25 à 16.25.50.png 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, yes, you are right Barb! I did not see (on the first screenshot) that the left page had not the same dimensions than the right one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is the same paper size for both pages, but it is odd that the bleed is extending over the right page. 

On that note, have you been shuffling pages? Save your file first, then select the spread in the Pages panel and restore the checkmarks in front of both Allow Document Pages to Shuffle and Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle in the Pages panel menu.

~Barb

shuffle.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I included a screenshot above. 

Not sure if I did it correctly, as it's not show automatically...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on each of these pages with the Page tool and look in the Control panel to check the size. Then move one to align with the other.

Also, check your Pages panel. Changing margins in File > Document Setup only changes the original A Master pages. Change the others using the Master Page function. Show your Pages panel if you need help with this.

~ Jane

2A9FEB76-3F7A-4BFB-BC60-BABF73FBAA08.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These responses are out of order, but I was able to replicate the problem. See the animation, above.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb, that is exactly what I wrote in my first answer: It looks like the 2 pages act as right pages. Did you move them (unintentionally) on the right side of the spine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you did. I'll happily mark your response as correct if we get confirmation. 🙂

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bradley,

Barb showed one way why this could happen, here is another one:

[1] You started with a non-facing pages document.

Means: You also started with one single page with master spread A.

[2] You changed your document to a facing-pages document.

Master spread A still has one single page that is responsible as master for all pages left or right from the spine!

In a situation like that changing the vertical margins would mean changing the marigins left or right.

There simply is no outside or inside because of just one page in master spread A.

Facing pages like 2 to 3, where Master A is applied below.

I changed the outside margins in document setup from default to 50 mm:

MasterA-OnePage-AppliedToPages-2-3.PNG

The solution:
[1] Add a new master spread B, there will be two pages by default, one page left, one page right to the spine, change the value for outside margins with the two master pages selected.

[2] Apply master B to all of your pages ( or to the ones master A was applied to ).

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

[3] Add one page to master A.

For that select the page on master spread A and use the context menu to get the Master Page Options. From my German InDesign:

AddMasterPage-MasterPageOptions-1.PNG

Change the number of pages from "1" to "2":

AddMasterPage-MasterPageOptions-2.PNG

Result:

AddMasterPage-MasterPageOptions-3.PNG

All pages where master A is applied are now "repaired" :

AddMasterPage-MasterPageOptions-4.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines