Highlighted

Modifying the FindChangeByList script

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disclaimer: I only encountered the concept of InDesign scripting recently. Please excuse my lack of background in it. I am diving in rather blind, having only watched a basic tutorial in scripting.

Now, my chief interest is in the FindChangeByList script. I want to find a way to use it (and maybe one day make more specifications to it) to clean up files as a final step in my publication's proofing process. However, while the script works well to clean up typographical/spacing errors, it also inevitably introduces new errors into our documents because it removes certain spacing that is part of our layout design. So, my main question is this: Can certain elements (paragraph styles, for instance) be excluded from the script's actions, so that these elements remain intact in the document after the script is performed?

Let me break down what I believe are the main functions of the script that are removing elements of the text layout that the publication needs intact:

1. Find all returns followed by a space and replace with single returns.
    This funciton removes the single space necessary to make an in-house Drop Cap paragraph style format properly.

2. Find all double returns and replace with single returns.
    This function removes the double returns that mark a section break in a flow of text, per our house style (these breaks almost always precede a Drop Cap paragraph style).
    This function also removes the double returns that precede and follow an in-house paragraph style for block quotes.

Again, I'd like to find a way to make the script exclude these particular circumstances. That, at least, is how I assume this problem could best be solved. If anyone has any other suggestions on how to approach this issue, I'd love to hear them. 

Thank you for your time, scripting whizzes. 

Topics

Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Modifying the FindChangeByList script

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disclaimer: I only encountered the concept of InDesign scripting recently. Please excuse my lack of background in it. I am diving in rather blind, having only watched a basic tutorial in scripting.

Now, my chief interest is in the FindChangeByList script. I want to find a way to use it (and maybe one day make more specifications to it) to clean up files as a final step in my publication's proofing process. However, while the script works well to clean up typographical/spacing errors, it also inevitably introduces new errors into our documents because it removes certain spacing that is part of our layout design. So, my main question is this: Can certain elements (paragraph styles, for instance) be excluded from the script's actions, so that these elements remain intact in the document after the script is performed?

Let me break down what I believe are the main functions of the script that are removing elements of the text layout that the publication needs intact:

1. Find all returns followed by a space and replace with single returns.
    This funciton removes the single space necessary to make an in-house Drop Cap paragraph style format properly.

2. Find all double returns and replace with single returns.
    This function removes the double returns that mark a section break in a flow of text, per our house style (these breaks almost always precede a Drop Cap paragraph style).
    This function also removes the double returns that precede and follow an in-house paragraph style for block quotes.

Again, I'd like to find a way to make the script exclude these particular circumstances. That, at least, is how I assume this problem could best be solved. If anyone has any other suggestions on how to approach this issue, I'd love to hear them. 

Thank you for your time, scripting whizzes. 

Topics

Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Have something to add?