• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

More leading between bullet points - 20pt (keeping 13pt leading between the rest of the text).

Engaged ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to have more leading between my bullet points (20pt) but keep the leading as standard (13pt) for the rest of the body text e.g. like the third bullet point shows - it's 20pt from the bullet above but the 'advise and train volunteers' is 13pt is only from the rest of the sentence's text above. 

I know how to do this manually but I'd like to add it to a Paragraph Style in order to add it to all my bullets throughout my booklet but it isn't registering it when I save it to a new Paragraph Style (when I highlight text and try and change it my new style it doesn't change anything). The example on the right is what I'm trying to add to a Paragraph Style.

Also, when I try to Redefine Style on my existing bullet point style, it is greyed out and I haven't a clue why, can anyone help please?

Screenshot 2020-07-21 at 16.37.34.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leading is not the correct setting for space between bullet points. Set the leading the way you want it to be inside each bullet paragraph. Then set (in the paragraph style) a value for Space After Paragraph to control the space between the bullet points.

Screenshot 2020-07-21 12.04.24.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct to make it into a paragraph style. In the style, make sure that you:

1. Do not base your style on Basic Paragraph Style, and 

2. Make sure that no Character Styles are also applied to the same text as the Paragraph Style

Otherwise, your style can be built by defining a Leading value of 13pt, and a Space After value of 20 pts. (Some might prefer a Space Before value of 20pts, instead of space after)

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, so what would be wrong with basing it on a Basic Paragraph Style (just for my information)?

I tried to Redefine Style of my previous paragraph style but it is greyed out, am I right in thinking Redefine Style is the option to choose if you want to edit an existing Paragraph Style and then save the changes? If it is, I'm not sure why this option is greyed out?

In the end, I have highlighted the bulleted text I wanted to edit, Alt - clicked on the Create New Style button at the bottom of my Paragraphs dialogue box and it has then created a new paragraph style as opposed to me editing and saving the previous one, is that okay? I have made a quick video to show but don't know how to upload it to the Video URL (but would like to if you can help me with that also?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The basic style should never be used due to several problems. One of them that it is not the same with different installations, it differs between Mac and Windows, between several versions and between several language versions. Copy and Paste between different documents can cause problems.

Create new hierarchies of paragraph styles with one root style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you tried to redefine the paragraph style did you have one of the altered bullet points (to which the original style is applied) selected? That would be necessary in order for the Redefine Style option to be available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines