• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving pages between documents automatically creates sections (InDesign CC 2017)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I move pages between documents InDesign is automatically creating a new section with the numbering starting from 1 in each section.

I could go and manually remove the Section every time I move a file  but I never used to have an issue moving documents and I have 50 files to move pages into one master document. The section is a problem because I want to do a Table of Contents on the final document.

I've been working on multiple individual InDesign files that have been started from the exact same InDesign template file. The template has 3 masters applied.

Things we've tried to troubleshoot the issue:

• Changing master page prefix
  • Moving files between older documents I have previously merged without an issue
  • Creating new master pages
  • Removing all master pages
  • Trying to move pages between old documents
  • Starting an entirely new document with new master pages
  • Starting an entirely new document with no master pages applied
  • Turning on Preferences > General > Absolute Numbering – this doesn't work for me as it doesn't fix the Table of Contents

At the end of my tether and every designer in my company has tried to fix this issue but we can't figure it out!

(We're all pretty advanced in InDesign and one of us is Adobe Certified )

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

I'm not sure I've understood correctly but it's worth a shot... open the pages tab, right-click on any page and click 'Numbering & Section Options...', now deselect the top tick 'Start Section'

Any luck?

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 16.58.31.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I've understood correctly but it's worth a shot... open the pages tab, right-click on any page and click 'Numbering & Section Options...', now deselect the top tick 'Start Section'

Any luck?

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 16.58.31.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

I knew it would be something infuriatingly simple... this had us so stumped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem, it's always the simplest of things

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this didn't fix it for me, as when I open the "Numbering & Sections Options" panel, the Start Section button is greyed-out (and selected) so I can't deselect it. Ack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It didn't work for me either. This is a long work-around, but I found that if I go to the document that I want to move and make sure it has the same page set up (facing pages) that the recipient document has, and then use the move command, the document moves as a section, but if you right click the arrow at the start of the new section in the recipient document, you can access the numbering and section options dialogue and turn sections off. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi pennymcelroy,

can you show a screenshot of the document where disable the Start Section does not work?

To do this you have to select the first page of a section in the Pages panel.

FWIW: The only Start Section you cannot disable is the first section on the first page of your document.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines