• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving pages from one document to another not working

Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is a bug or not, but everytime I try to move pages from one document to another it inserts those pages where I tell it to, after or before a certain page, or the end or beginning of the document, but they are always blank. I'm very confused why such a simple feature just doesn't work. I can post the files I'm trying to move if that would be helpful. As I side note I am using the most current version of indesign

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Ok. That was not it.

Now, that I inspected your provided documents I can see that both documents have different page sizes.

That would mean that the recieving document will load the moved pages to a new Alternate Layout section.

So do the following in the recieving document:
Open your Pages Panel and change the view of your document to show Alternate Layouts. See my screenshot below.

Then move the pages. You'll see that all the moved pages will be added to a new Alternate Layout if you move t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

I'm not sure.

If I move pages 3-4 after page 6 of the target document nothing special happens.

All's well. I can see the new pages with contents in the target document.

Tested with CC 2021 on Windows 10.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi defaultncz19xru80wo,

yes, please put the source and the target document on Dropbox or a similar service and post the download link.

And do another thing: Show in two or three steps with screenshots what you are doing right now.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

first.JPGsecond.JPG3rd.JPG

Here are the screenshots, I will upload both files after reducing their sizes shortly so they're easier to manage. But basically it inserts the pages, but they are just blank, maybe I'm doing something wrong here, im not sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fng2dhlmzqzwqof/AAC1pqShdSepCLenp-EevK2Ha?dl=0

Here is the dropbox link with a slimmed down verison of the two files. Let me know if this doesn't work as it was my first time using dropbox. Also I might add that I've sort of already solved the problem by copy and pasting the pages between the documents, but was still curious if this function is working or not haha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the screenshots.

Hm. One idea what has happened:

Suppose all elements on the pages of your source document are on a layer named "A".

Also suppose your target document also has a layer with this name.

But there the visibility of layer "A" is turned off.

What would happen if you move the pages over?

All elements would land on layer "A" that is invisible.

Thus: You'll see no elements on the moved spread.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. That was not it.

Now, that I inspected your provided documents I can see that both documents have different page sizes.

That would mean that the recieving document will load the moved pages to a new Alternate Layout section.

So do the following in the recieving document:
Open your Pages Panel and change the view of your document to show Alternate Layouts. See my screenshot below.

Then move the pages. You'll see that all the moved pages will be added to a new Alternate Layout if you move them to the beginning or to the end of the document.

AlternateLayout.PNG

I need more info about the following:

What pages exactly did you try to move at what position in the recieving document?

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the hidden layer issure was it. Final Booklet has only Layer 1, and in the Portfolio docuemnt, Layer 1 is turned off. If you move the pages from Final... to Portfolio..., you get exactly the issue shown in the initial screen shots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure.

If I move pages 3-4 after page 6 of the target document nothing special happens.

All's well. I can see the new pages with contents in the target document.

Tested with CC 2021 on Windows 10.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

WOW! For some reason I think I just turned the top layer visible without thinking about the actual layer names. Thanks for the help, just a brain fart on my part because it's now working with layer 1 visible. Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines