mulitpage importer and Indesign 2020

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so fortunite to have my Indesign update to the 2020 version today.

It's nice to know that this new version can't see the multipage importer script.

Does anyone know why this version of Indesign can't see this script?

Is it possible need newer version of the multipage importer script?

Is there a newer version of the multipage importer script?

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Bug, How to, Import and export, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you referring to the Place Multiple PDF script that has been included as a sample script with the last several versions of InDesign? Or are you talking about a third party script? If it is a third party script then it will need to be updated to be compatible with 2020. In this case check with the developers website for a compatible update.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you install the script file?

What's your operating system?

When in doubt where to store the script file invoke the Scripts panel from InDesign.

Select the User folder inside the Scripts panel. Do command Show in Finder or Show in Explorer.

Store your script file in that folder.

Go back to your Scripts panel in InDesign.

The script file should be visible in the User folder of the panel.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joe,

do you refer to the MultiPageImporter script initially developed by Scott Zanelli and that was updated over the years by different developers?

A quick search on the web reveals that recent versions can be found here:

https://github.com/mike-edel/ID-MultiPageImporter/releases

Most current version is 2.6.2 maintained and released by Mike Edel.

Thank you, Mike!

Did not test Mike's version yet, but my 2.5.1 version of the script, adapted by Jim Birkenseer, is still working with InDesign 2020 on Windows 10.

Had one bug with 2.5.1 when placing a 40 pages PDF with page size of 315 x 470 mm.

Pages were done in Letter size, but I could correct that after the PDF pages were placed by selecting all the pages with the Page Tool ( Select All keyboard shortcut ) and then resize to my format 315 x 470 mm without any issues.

Sure, I will test Mike Edel's 2.6.2 version as well.

Now the question is:

What version of the script are you trying to use?

On what operating system?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joe,

found a possible bug with the script!

All tests done with InDesign 2020 version 15.0.0.155 on Windows 10.

Script file was installed in the Scripts Panel under the User folder.

First the symptom of the bug:

A double-click to the installed and visible script file in the Scripts Panel did exactly nothing.

No dialog for selecting a PDF is coming up. All the same with a right-click and doing the execute menu command.

Nothing happened!

Now the solution:

Open the jsx file in e.g. ExtendScript Toolkit app or a text editor that is able to read and write pure text.

Go to the line where the script code is saying:

#target indesign;

Make InDesign ignore that line of code. To do that you can remove the whole line or you can make it a comment like that:

// #target indesign;

Save the script file with a new name and Text-Only like this:

MultiPageImporter-EDITED.jsx

FWIW: The code line #target indesign is not needed if you are executing the script from your InDesign Scripts Panel.

If the script file is installed there InDesign does always know that InDesign itself is the target of execution.

Hope this helped!

And now have fun with the MultiPageImporter-EDITED.jsx file.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Um.

Does that line make *any* script stop working?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jongware,

in this case I think yes. Don't ask me why. Tested this with and without the line yesterday to the effect that the dialog came up where you are able to select a PDF, every time the line was commented or removed. Have no real explanation right now.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here a screenshot from my German InDesign 2020 on Windows after I selected a 40 pages PDF showing the main dialog:

MultiPageImporter-EDITED-MainDialog-1.PNG

Note: This dialog is showing "Crop to: Media" that I selected after the first successful run of the script.

That's not the default. The script is memorizing my selection in the dialog in a file that will automatically be created: MultiPageImporterPrefs2.5.txt. Do not rename this file if you want to use the old settings.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jongware,

after some extensive tests I think that issue is the following:

If InDesign CC 2020 is running along with a different version of InDesign like CC 2019 the target statement:

#target indesign will not work as expected with InDesign CC 2020. Nothing will be executed. If I run the same script with the same target statement from InDesign CC 2019 while InDesign CC 2020 is also running, the script code will be executed.

Must be a bug with InDesign CC 2020 version 15.0.0.155.

To prevent this bug, one could comment out the target statement.

Or one could use a target statement specific to InDesign CC 2020 like that:

#target indesign-15.064

If no other version of InDesign is running along with CC 2020 the statement #target indesign will work.

All tests done on Windows 10. Cannot tell if this bug is also on Mac OS X.

All test scripts were stored either in the User folder or in the Application folder of InDesign's Scripts Panel.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not working with my InDesign CC 2021. Will there be an update that's compatible? I love it!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi numa272,

what's your version of the script?
And what's the version of your operating system?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see no issue with MultiPageImporter version 2.6.2 and my German InDesign 2021 version 16.0.0.77 on Windows 10.

Just tested it. Can you show a screenshot of an error message? Did you try the script on a PDF that you exported from InDesign?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines