Highlighted

Multi level list, number + letter, but not always.

Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to create a list that looks like this: 

1a. This and that

1b. So and forth

2. Yada yada

3. Whatever 

4a. Mumble

4b. Tremble

5. Last point

Is this possible and if so, how? 

So far, I've only managed getting this using two paragraph styles (level 1/level 2): 

1a

1b 

2a

2b

etc.

Thanks in advance : ) 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Barb Binder | Adobe Community Professional

Normally we are looking for consistency with our lists. It appears that you are not numbering sequentially, but following a non-sequential order. 

Sequential:

1, 1a, 1b

2, 2a, 2b

3, 3a, 3b

Non-sequential:

1a, 1b

4a, 4b

Your non-sequential list does not follow a particular pattern of when to increment and when not to—skipping the 1 and 4 and substituting 1a and 4a randomly—so I would recommend that you simply number the list manually, or standarize the numbering by adding the 1 and 4 back in.

~Barb

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Multi level list, number + letter, but not always.

Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to create a list that looks like this: 

1a. This and that

1b. So and forth

2. Yada yada

3. Whatever 

4a. Mumble

4b. Tremble

5. Last point

Is this possible and if so, how? 

So far, I've only managed getting this using two paragraph styles (level 1/level 2): 

1a

1b 

2a

2b

etc.

Thanks in advance : ) 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Barb Binder | Adobe Community Professional

Normally we are looking for consistency with our lists. It appears that you are not numbering sequentially, but following a non-sequential order. 

Sequential:

1, 1a, 1b

2, 2a, 2b

3, 3a, 3b

Non-sequential:

1a, 1b

4a, 4b

Your non-sequential list does not follow a particular pattern of when to increment and when not to—skipping the 1 and 4 and substituting 1a and 4a randomly—so I would recommend that you simply number the list manually, or standarize the numbering by adding the 1 and 4 back in.

~Barb

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 06, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both of these look the same. What is your deeper explanation of your numbering challenge?

Mike Witherell

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sequential:

1, 1a, 1b

2, 2a, 2b

3, 3a, 3b

Non-sequential:

1a, 1b

4a, 4b

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 06, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After searching a bit more: I see this was a dead end three years ago. 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/how-to-achieve-numbered-list-of-the-type-fig-1-fig-2-fig-3a-... 

I don't know how to code and I'm not going to pay to get 11 numbers fixed : ) 

For those with more complicated lists, see thread above. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 07, 2020 0