May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to create a multi level list as follows:

A01

A02

A03

B01

I can only find articles that show how it can be done 1a 1b 1c throuh paragraph styles, and the information doesn't work to do it backwards. I would also ideally like the "A" to be the section and the "01" to just be a continuos list of numbers. There is an option in paragraph styles to insert a section symbol not a section marker, but nowhere seems to have information on what that is or how to use it.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

I think about 2 workarounds:

1. Working with chapters, so each chapter has to be an INDD file.
  2. Working with marker, done in the section dialog, but a section starts always with a new page.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a link to the article you are looking at that shows 1a 1b 1c on the same line? 

1a

1b

1c

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I did mean in a list like:

1a

1b

1c

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can just type in the character A hard in the first level, folowed by auto numbering, same with the B for the second level (so use two Paragraph styles, one for A and one for B):

A^#^t

B^#^t

(the ^t is to create a tab character)

The make sure the numbering type is one with a 0 leader for instance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that works as a manual way but I would still like to use the section number really.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by Section number, the one you defined as Section Marker in the Pages numbering options panel? You can insert that one as well from the fly out menu in the numbered list option for example.

^H^#^t

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason I'm asking for the article is because InDesign will format two levels on the same line with the same format style in auto-numbered list. For example, 

or

AA

AB

AC

There is no place to indicate that one level should be an Arabic numeral and the next level should be an alphabetic character on the same line, that I am aware of. If you can show me the article that shows how to do

1a

1b

1c 

then I can help you inverse the order.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think about 2 workarounds:

1. Working with chapters, so each chapter has to be an INDD file.
  2. Working with marker, done in the section dialog, but a section starts always with a new page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines