Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

multi level lists

Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I do appreciate other people have posted about this before and that there are online help functions talking about multi level lists. It's just that I've been reading this stuff and searching for over an hour now and I just cannot get my head round how to do this, so I would really appreciate it if somebody could assist (ideally without being mean to me).

All I'm trying to do is set up an Indesign list that is just based on my body text paragraph style and goes:

1.0          Title

1.1          More text

1.2          More text

2.0          Other title

2.1          More text

2.2          More text

I've done it in the past but I don't have those files now so I can't remind myself. 

I would really appreciate any help. Thank you in advance.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Well you can't do it with only one style. You'll need two styles to accomplish what you're showing, one for the top level (i.e. 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, etc.) and another style for the second level numbers (i.e. 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3). Each style needs its own list defined and the level for each style needs to be set to Level 1 and Level 2 respectively. I'm attaching a few screen shots below of the example that I created to test this out for you.

Bullets1.pngBullets2.pngBullets3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This segment from Adobe Max spent some time on lists in styles for numbering.

https://www.adobe.com/max/2020/sessions/getting-it-done-with-indesign-speedy-tips-and-tric-s6109.htm...

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks for sharing this. I've just watched it and unfortunately it only talks about restarting numbering in different sections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well you can't do it with only one style. You'll need two styles to accomplish what you're showing, one for the top level (i.e. 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, etc.) and another style for the second level numbers (i.e. 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3). Each style needs its own list defined and the level for each style needs to be set to Level 1 and Level 2 respectively. I'm attaching a few screen shots below of the example that I created to test this out for you.

Bullets1.pngBullets2.pngBullets3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry that last screenshot was the wrong one. Here's the one for Level 2.

Bullets3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines