Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

multi-page XML import

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hej there,

I am trying to build a automated multi-page InDesign project using XML.

It works quite well when I have my InDesign-structure for all 30 pages, with all pages set up & text frames connected to the XML sidebar structure.

The next step would be to try and import an XML file, which would autocreate the 30 pages from just one preformatted page. Otherwise one simple change would be a ton of work in the master document, which is continuosly being used, not for a single project.

The pages themselves don't need to structurally differ from one another, just their text contents change.

After it didn't initially work in my project, I tried creating a dummy XML:

<content>

<event1>
<a>ASDF1</a>
<b>QWER1</b>
</event1>

<event2>
<a>ASDF2</a>
<b>QWER2</b>
</event2>

<event3>
<a>ASDF3</a>
<b>QWER3</b>
</event3>

</content>

... but it doesn't work yet.

I put the contents of <event1> into 2 separate textframes on page 1 (the only one) and tagged them accordingly. As I said, it works like that when I have 30 pages pre-set up.

I already tried to have <event> containers without the digit, I tried adding empty pages beforehand and I tried out the different import-options – to no avail 😕

Do I have to do anything via the master page?

My first impulse was to try and script something, but the InDesign XML documentation seems to be quite thin and coding isn't my strongest skill.

Then I stumbled upon this thread, which I also posted in (but am unsure whether it's being seen as it's marked as solved):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/build-xml-structure-by-scripting/m-p/11012846?page=1#M180624

So there seems to be a fairly simple solution to this...

Any ideas? °-° 🙂

Thank you & best wishes

Mathis

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would say for such a big work hire a developer for that who can understand your requiements and workflow and work according to that.

Support community is not for developing entire big project for any individual or an organisation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hej Sunil,

thanks for your reply. I'm aware it's a bigger project, but I was not hoping on the community to build it for me, I just needed a kick in the right direction and I already did most of the work by myself – in InDesign & XML. I thought it's ok to ask under such circumstances, but I'll consider seeking paid help next time.

Having said that, I already got help in another thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/multipage-xml-automatisation/m-p/11063548?page=1#M182955

It's basically the same thread, I created and edited this one here, but then couldn't find it anymore... 😕 Not via search, nor my profile or anything. A bit embarassing now.

So this thread here may be closed/deleted...

Best wishes

Mathis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines