• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MultiLevel Heading

Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read through the forum posts about multilevel heading, but for some reason its not working for me here. i have done this before with Section Headers but this time i need the multilevel to be in the paragraph style. How can i get the style to change to the new chapter number? here is two images of what is happening. I need the paragraph style to change to reflect the new chapter. I dont want to create a style for each chapter starting at a new number (there is 15 chapters)

Screenshot1.JPGScreenshot2.JPG

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Nathan Rule :

Please share a screen shot of the Bullets and Numbers dialog box for your Head2 paragraph style (with the orange reverse), and let us know if you are numbering in a single file, or if you are using an InDesign book. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay - Adobe never notified me there was a reponse.

Single File no Book.

So in chapter 3 this is what it looks like - It all looks quite right - however all the other chapters say 3.0, 3.1 etc

image.png

image.png

So how do i get it to be correct per chapter? I could do an indicidual chapter style, but for 12-15 chapters that cumbersome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So one of my issues is i am importing each chapter as a seperetely threaded text frame so ican guess that is why my numbering doesnt increase on the Main headers since it isnt seeing any number before it. So i solved that one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

^H is the chapter number counter—it only increments between different files. That's why your chapter numbers are not incrementing.

Use the level 1 counter instead ^1—but why the level set to 3? If this is the top level in your list—and chapter numbers normally are—that should be set to Level 1

This explains how numbered heads are defined in InDesign—it covers more levels than you need—but what you need is in there. https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-numbering-headings/

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have followed your direction and it works fine on chapter 3, but when i try to use it in different chapters it defaults to 3

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Nathan Rule:

Nov 11

You said "Single File no Book." 

My response, "^H is the chapter number counter—it only increments between different files. That's why your chapter numbers are not incrementing. Use the level 1 counter instead ^1.

Nov 17

Are you still working in a single file and not in a book? I still see that you are using the ^H counter. It still will not increment within a single file. It only increments between files in a book. Use the level 1 counter instead ^1.

counter.png

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I misunderstood what you were saying. If you mean am i "booking a book" by using indesign as seperate chapter and file independent of themselves i am not doing that. If you mean is each chapter its own threaded text box where i imported the chapter text through the "Wordsflow" Plugin then yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Nathan Rule:

Is it one InDesign .indd file with multiple stories/sections/chapters (doesn't matter what you call them) in that single InDesign file,

–or–

Is it multiple InDesign . indd files added to an InDesign .indb book file? 

The words "Single file no book" indicate the first scenario. And if it is the first scenario, you will need to use ^1 and not ^H. ^H on works in the second scenario. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe i'm not sure what i have donbe, but that doesnt work for me and i'm nto sure how to undo whatever i have done before hand.

What DID work for me  (and based on your help) was ^#.0^t starting at the chapter i was on so I just made a new Style for Chapters 2-6 and so on and so forth. Using all one style using ^1.0^t as the numbering did not work in my document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Nathan Rule:

I am very happy to help you through this, but we can't move on until you answer this question:

Is it one InDesign .indd file with multiple stories/sections/chapters (doesn't matter what you call them) in that single InDesign file,

–or–

Is it multiple InDesign . indd files added to an InDesign .indb book file? 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is one InDesign file. Each chapter has it's own threaded text box independent of the others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Nathan Rule:

Have you created a paragraph style (perhaps called ChapterTitle) and assigned that one style to each and every chapter title in that InDesign file?

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines