Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple cards per page for a sourced document

Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I would like to create a deck of custom cards for printing. I already have a single card layout, and a separate csv file containing the information that is sourced to this card layout using the DataMerge function. However, when I hit on "Create Merged Document" from the DataMerge panel, even after selecting "Multiple Records" at the Records per Document Page option, this will create a pdf file with only one card per page. I guess the problem is with my page size, it should have a larger size, but then how do I create the single card per page document (which still might be required for printing)? Do I need to have two separate documents - one for the single card per page, and one for the multiple cards per page? If so, how do I source the single card per page pdf in the multiple cards per page document? Apologies for the many questions, but somehow this is awfully not clear. 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its hard to answer these questions with out seeing screen shots of sizing. But for your first question.

1. I would guess that your card is too big for the page for you to have more than one.

2. Yes you would need to create 2 documents.

3. What do you mean by source the single card page? if you mean combine the pdfs you can do this in acrobat professional. If you mean you would like to be able to access the master artwork? Your data file and the original data merge document is the source.

Workflow recommendation:

I would create only the 1 card per page document. To size of the card. Then if I require multiple cards up on a page I can than just import the single card indesign document. That way if I need the cards on a A3 or later some other sizes I can build this myself while having a master set of artwork that I can make changes to and will update all the multiples it is imported to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer. How do I import the single card indesign document to the multiple cards per page InDesign document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can import an indesign document into a indesign document.

Go to File>Place, then select the cards document. Make sure show import options is tick, then you'll be able to select what page or pages you want to bring in.

The pro of this method is you can have many differnt layouts but one master artwork if it ever needs updating. The con is its a little more set up then having datamerge do the layup for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for your answer. When I try to bring in the single card per page InDesign file into the multiple cards per page InDesign file, only the first card slot is filled out wit the single card document - how do I fill out the rest?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you import you need to make sure "Show Import Options" is ticked. This will give you options on how the document imports. If you have your single card document and it is multipage, you'll be able to tell its what pages or all pages you want to import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nope, still doesn't work. Can you please show me an actual file example where this works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines