Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple Copies of Adobe Apps

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed I have two copies (both 2019 and 2020 versions) of:
Adobe Photoshop (versions 20.0.7 and 21.0.0)
InDesign (versions 14.0.3 and 15.0)
and Illustrator (versions 23.1.1 and 24.0.0) on my computer.
1. How did this happen? I update when there's an update available, and I've never had two of each application before.
2. If I dumped one of them (probably the older 2019?) would files still open with the newer 2020 version?
3. How do I ensure this doesn't happen again? I don't need to take up all that disk space.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. There is an option when you choose to upgrade (or use auto update) an Adobe application which asks if you would like to remove older versions.  It could be that the default state of being selected has changed.

Screen Shot 2019-10-11 at 12.10.37.png

2. Usually documents will simply open in the latest version installed - unless you've chosen otherwise.

3. You just need to make sure to click the box to remove old versions in the future.

Personal opinion, at least with InDesign, it is never a bad idea to have at least the next latest version installed together with the latest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is this option? I cannot find it in Adobe Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem last year, now I am having the same problem this year. very annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CORRMuseum :

When you install a major update through the CC Desktop app, you will see a a dialog box with two checkboxes: one to remove the old version and one to migrate the old preferences. Make your decisions and the installer will keep or remove the old version.

I always keep the old version, just in case there are issues with the new one. I do not migrate the old preferences because in my experience, that is way more trouble than it is worth. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Barb for responding. I have not run updates through Adobe CC. I just started my computer today and all of a sudden have duplicate versions of every software. Any idea where I would go in CC to turn automatic updates off? If not, no biggie!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CORRMuseum :

Open your CC Desktop app and click on your avatar (top right corner) > Preferences > Apps and decide which apps should and should not auto-upate. Click Advanced to set the two preferences previous mentioned (remove old versions; import previous settings and preferences). Click Done.

To remove a version, click Apps on the main Navigation Bar > All Apps. Click the three dot button next to the Open button for each app, and choose Uninstall. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are very trusting, in assuming that the new app will work perfectly, will still have all the features you need, and won't take any time to learn. Many people are very definite about keeping the old version going and gently trying out the new version, especially if they can't afford to lose a day's work. Bear in mind you can't easily go back once you've opened an InDesign document in a newer version, and it may be simpler to assign a version until completion of each project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines