Highlighted

Multiple inDesign Files launch when opening one file

Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this weird thing happening.  When I double click an InDesign file to launch InDesign and open the file I've clicked, MULTIPLE unrelated files will open. 

Example:

From Windows Explorer, Double Click "Job A" File

"Job A" File opens, followed by "Job X" opening as well.

These files are not in the same folders and do not have linked/related elements.

This started a couple of months ago and is regularly random in that a few specific files are part of the issue.

Adobe CC up-to-date as in Windows 10.

Any suggestions?  It's just annoying but not damaging to my files.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

Hi bille25671422 ,

does this only happen if InDesign is not running before you do the double-click on the InDesign file?

Then it could be that InDesign is opening a document that once was open while InDesign crashed the last time.

To prevent that check two things:

1. Go to the directory where that unwanted document is stored.

Close all documents, look after an *.idlk file there and remove it.

2. Next step would be to trash your InDesign cache files.

Close InDesign first, then visit your Caches directory for InDesign documents.

With my German InDesign CC 2019 on Windows 10 the directory holding the cache files is at:

User Name* > AppData > Local > Adobe > InDesign > Version 14.0 > de_DE* > Caches

* Your user name will be different, your languange folder could be different.

Remove that Caches directory. InDesgn will create it again next time it starts.

Then restart InDesign, quit InDesig; nothing unusual?, then try to launch InDesign with a double-click on your InDesign file you like to open.

Regards,
Uwe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Multiple inDesign Files launch when opening one file

Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this weird thing happening.  When I double click an InDesign file to launch InDesign and open the file I've clicked, MULTIPLE unrelated files will open. 

Example:

From Windows Explorer, Double Click "Job A" File

"Job A" File opens, followed by "Job X" opening as well.

These files are not in the same folders and do not have linked/related elements.

This started a couple of months ago and is regularly random in that a few specific files are part of the issue.

Adobe CC up-to-date as in Windows 10.

Any suggestions?  It's just annoying but not damaging to my files.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

Hi bille25671422 ,

does this only happen if InDesign is not running before you do the double-click on the InDesign file?

Then it could be that InDesign is opening a document that once was open while InDesign crashed the last time.

With my German InDesign CC 2019 on Windows 10 the directory holding the cache files is at:

User Name* > AppData > Local > Adobe > InDesign > Version 14.0 > de_DE* > Caches

Then restart InDesign, quit InDesig; nothing unusual?, then try to launch InDesign with a double-click on your InDesign file you like to open.

Regards,
Uwe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 11, 2019 2
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are they truly unrelated? No hyperlinks to them? Not in a book file?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I can see. There are no common elements.

If InDesign is running, it's not an issue so I suspect it's some weird path that messed up.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bille25671422 ,

Regards,
Uwe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 15, 2019 2
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue with the latest version of InDesign on my PC. It happens whether InDesign is open or has been closed. When no other InDesign files are open, I click on the icon on the previously opened files to open one file, and occasionally, BOGO*-- another unrelated file opens.

*Buy one, get one (for free)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me as well. (BOGO - too funny, but so true!) If you've found the answer, can you reply to this or link me to the correct thread? thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 27, 2020 0
Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 27, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi George, This isn't quite the issue I'm having ... the files haven't crashed and it's happening when InDesign is already running, not on the initial launch/opening a file. It's usually when I've been working on multiple layouts which are open at the same time ... close them, then the next time I open one of those layouts, any other ones I've had open also open. It's been happening for quite some time now. Thank you for your response though!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 27, 2020 0
Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this indd's from one book? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 28, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you mean book, do you mean an InDesign file that has been created as a book? If so no, they are two unrelated InDesign documents from two different magazines that I work on.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 28, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same odd issue. Generally it is the previous document I have been working on that opens, but it can also be a less recent file. So far only one other file opens alongside the one I have selected. I am running the latest Indesign update on Windows 10 Pro. No issues yet with this when working on Mac at home.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2019 2
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the same thing. Seems like it opens a file right before or right after the one I select to open on the home screen. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2019 1
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happens to me all the time too.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 15, 2019 0