• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple jump lines from a common text panel.

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I have multiple "jump lines" from a specific text panel to a number of other text panels (stories) on other pages to create an accurate "Full details on page XXX" ??? 

This is kind of back to front from "Continued on page YYY" page jumps.

Any help appreciated!!!

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Not really sure from your description - have you an example?

Cross references seems like what you want

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/incopy/using/cross-references.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really sure from your description - have you an example?

Cross references seems like what you want

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/incopy/using/cross-references.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Eugene! That's exactly what I was after. An automated method!
I did work out a manual hack of doing it using "ghost text" frames as an experiment. FYI.
I duplicated a text panel on the page I wanted to reference in copy on another page. I linked the frame to another text frame on the relevant page elsewhere in the document. Here I placed my text eg "For details see page... and entered the Insert Variable - Last Page Number.
This then displayed the correct page number I wanted to back reference to.
I needed to send the first text frame "To Back" and make it's type white so it didn't print. You can also remove any type in the first panel and just leave the "page break" symbol in place. By doing 3 of these text frames on the same page I could link them to 3 other disparate pages elsewhere in the documant and get the correct page number to display there.
However there may be an issue on outputting for bureau printing, those "empty" text frames may get removed.  
Again, many thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: The correct online page for "Insert Cross References" for InDesign is here: https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/indesign/using/cross-references.html
The link from Eugene is for InCopy. However both accomplish the same thing!
Tried this technique and it works perfectly!
TIP: You can access the "Cross Reference Editor" from a contextual menu whereever your text insertion point is. It is under the "Interactive" heading.
Again, many thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes - didn't spot that - but they work the same way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if I'm in the right conversation or not but I am having trouble with text jumping randomly. When I notice it and select the text with my mouse I get what is seen in the sample that I have attached. If I edit the text by changing the font size it goes back to my normal settings. I have tried to stop this by reinstalling Indesign several times. I have also called the help line and gotten no solution. Any help would be greatly appreicated.Screenshot (3).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Benedix53 

I'd suggest that you start a new conversation. The issue you're having has nothing to do with Jump Lines or Cross References, and you're more likely to get more help in an independent conversation. 

When you do this, please provide as mucn information about your system configuration as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines