• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple table of contents in single doc.

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does ID support this?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Of course.

In the TOC window (Layout > Table of Contents) add paragraph style/styles you want and then save your TOC with name.

If you want one other TOC add other paragraph styles and then save your TOC with a different name.

In the screenshot bellow I have 4 different TOC in one single doc

Schermata 2020-07-21 alle 08.06.42.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course.

In the TOC window (Layout > Table of Contents) add paragraph style/styles you want and then save your TOC with name.

If you want one other TOC add other paragraph styles and then save your TOC with a different name.

In the screenshot bellow I have 4 different TOC in one single doc

Schermata 2020-07-21 alle 08.06.42.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you actually placed four separate TOCs in the document in different locations (on different pages), or just created/saved four different types/templates? (since your screenshot does not show 4 separate tables placed)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The TOCs can be on the same page or different pages but they have to be in different stories (separated text frames and not threated one with other)

For example I have

- the main TOC;

- in one another text box is the TOC colled "Authors and qualifications";

- in one another pages is the TOC called "collaborators" etc.

- the secondary TOC in two columns

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A TOC is just a list of paragraphs. I also have multiple TOCs in a single file.  

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question: how was this "unrelated"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 27, 2023 Aug 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a related question. I am writing a textbook, and in order to have seamless crosslinks between related chapter PDFs, I have grouped those chapters into a single volume and used it to create a single PDF. It has a single Table of Contents at the beginning of the volume, one spread is shown below:

Indesign-Chapter-TOCs.jpg

This is all well and good. But the volume is pretty big, so I might want to offer the chapters separately, by extracting pages from the resulting PDF. Without have differently named paragraph-style headings (like "H2-Chapter-1" "H2-Chapter-2" and "H2-Chapter-3"), is there any way to also have a TOC just for a single chapter show up at the beginning of each chapter in the single-volume file? Probably not but thought I would ask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2023 Aug 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but it won't be easy. The simplest solution would be to break the chapters into individual INDD files and then group the book as a whole using the Book feature. You'd use a Book TOC for the comprehensive TOC, and a file TOC for each chapter.

There will be some issues with styles and TOC assignments to work out, but yes, this can be done. Each TOC "style," even in different chapter files, should have a unique name just to make sure there are no namespace collisions in the assembled Book, especially if you are going to export to EPUB or PDF.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2024 Apr 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gosh I would think there would be a simpler way. Is the fastest way to use go-to-page links in the hyperlinks panel? Won't auto update if pages get moved or added. Why would ID give you the ability to do multiple TOC styles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2024 Apr 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @iop.02:

Or a list of cross-references, which can look just like a TOC but you pick the paragraphs you want to list so you have more control. More fussy to create than a TOC but they update when you add and remove content.

FWIW, like all of you, I use InDesign for book layout, but as our needs grow more complicated, FrameMaker is waiting. FrameMaker can generate a mini-TOC (a TOC embedded in the flow of a single chapter), and stand-alone TOC (separate TOC for a single chapter) and a book TOC (or TOCs). You can also create a volume (set of books) with it's own master TOC for all of the books. Sometimes it's a matter of moving to the best tool for the job.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines