• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My client has old InDesign files with a plugin problem

Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a client with hundreds of files made in CS5 - and when trying to opening those - I just get a message saying that I need a sharedcontent.rpln plugin - and so - I cannot open these files...

Is there someone here who can help me with this problem...

Tiina

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your client has CS5 and which version of InDesign have you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Indesign 2021. And sadly I uninstalled CS5 on my client's computer since she also has the latest version (2021). She complained about low on memory and then I noticed that she had both CS5 CS 5.5 CS6 and a subscription. I didn´t think that this should be a problem since I always thought that you can open older documents with a newer version of InDesign. But I know it can be a problem the other way around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your client still have InDesign CS5 and, if so, can s/he still open those documents (just to test they are not corrupt)?

If so, can s/he save them as IDML documents, so you should be able to open them is a later version of InDesign, though, depending on the fonts, there may be text reflow problems etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I am sorry to say that I did uninstall a couple of older versions since I saw that she also has InDesign 2021 - and it is from this newest version that we aren't able to open the old documents...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That message is typical of trying to open a file in an older version of InDesign. Are you sure they were created with CS5 and what version are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They could be created in even older programs - I am sure. The funny thing is that this error message says that we could still open - but that´s not working - and that we should see to that we have the latest version of InDesign - and that we have...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the CC subscription - - but the problem is that I did uninstall CS 5 CS6 and two more on her computer since she also have the subscription and therefore InDesign 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5 files should open in any newer version. Are you saying all of them won't open in ID 2021? If so, please post one or two documents in a dropbox folder and provide a link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - I will go to her office again tomorrow - and find a couple of files...

And I am very grateful if you could see what's wrong. 

Have a great day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You client should have the installers for the older versions of InDesign, although CS6 could have been through a subscription. If so, it will be difficult to reinstall unless you can locate a CS6 installer.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - I didn´t think of that - that might be an idea. She doesn't seem to be the one that throughs things out 🙂

Thanks - have a great day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Be sure you don't use CS5 to open CS5.5 files. Any ID version is not backwards compatible.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines