Exit

NCX TOC errors from Amazon for Kindle

Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi InDesigners,
Does anyone know what this means and how I can fix this:
"Your book's Logical Table of Contents (NCX) has unnecessary entries. Example: "The New Parent Quick-Start Guide", "PMAD: The Sneaky Thief of New Baby Joy" , "our Partner in Crime Needs Their Sidekick"...It should be given as a single entry. Please merge and update it as a single entry. To learn more see section "NCX Guidelines" in Kindle Publishing Guidelines."
This is how the TOC looks in Kindle Previewer., but I think it's referring to the way it's displayed on the side of the preview images (see second screenshot). Is there a way I can correct this in the epub? Would REALLY appreciate some help. Thanks in advance as usual.
TOPICS
Bug , EPUB , How to , Import and export , Performance , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

In the first screenshot, Chapter 2 and the chapter title that comes after it are two separate entries. Do they both, in fact, point to the same location in the document?

If they do, it's probably (just a guess) because you have them as 2 separate paragraphs in your actual ID doc. Try combining all such instances in InDesign so that there is only a single TOC entry per paragraph. One way of doing that would be to replace the return at the end of the Chapter 2 paragraph with a soft line break. Tha

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In the first screenshot, Chapter 2 and the chapter title that comes after it are two separate entries. Do they both, in fact, point to the same location in the document?

If they do, it's probably (just a guess) because you have them as 2 separate paragraphs in your actual ID doc. Try combining all such instances in InDesign so that there is only a single TOC entry per paragraph. One way of doing that would be to replace the return at the end of the Chapter 2 paragraph with a soft line break. That will turn it all into a single paragraph although visually it will look like 2.

All this is just a guess based on the error message and your screenshots. I have not come across this error before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines