• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need a Font to be CMYK

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm incredibly new to indesign, and I can't seem to find an answer to this online. I have a font on a book cover I made that apparently is not CMYK and I need to change it so it can be printed, but I have no idea how to do that. Is there a way to change a font to CMYK?

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a font on a book cover I made that apparently is not CMYK

What makes you think this? Display the swatch panel, select the text and see which color is used. You can post a screen shot to help us to understand your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It had been sent to a printer and didn't print properly. They told us it used only black and that's why it didn't print right and that it needs to be CMYK in order to print. The font is Trojan Color and the text is a gold color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As jmlevy suggested, we'd have to see a screenshot of your cover, open in InDesign, with the text in question selected and the Color and/or Swatches panels in view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Highlight the font in question and check the Swatches panel to see if the font is Black or Registration [black].

(If it's the latter, change it to black.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

font.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you confirm whether this is an editable font or a rasterised image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so clearly, the Black swatch is applied. You mentioned the font was "Trojan Color" and is supposed to appear as a gold color? So it's a 'color' font? If so, that may not be supported in process color output. You'll have to actually apply the desired fill color (and that may require using an 'ordinary' font). And, if "gold" reversed in surrounding black is the objective, as it appears, a CMY mix is likely to disappoint in the final output (it could be difficult to get anything that isn't too brown). You may want to consider a foil treatment. Consult the printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup the font is Trajan Color Concept and, as I understand this new experimental format, the colour can't be changed. 

You'll (normally) be printing from a PDF and if the document is printed in black only the font will be automatically converted to black

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here’s the helpx page on the new OpenType-SVG color fonts. Looks like the intended use is as web fonts.

https://helpx.adobe.com/fonts/user-guide.html/fonts/using/ot-svg-color-fonts.ug.html

Are you delivering a PDF. If so what preset are you using? I just tested Trajan Color and both PDF/X-4 (no color conversion), and PDF/X-1a outputs the text object’s color space as device CMYK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had used PDF/X-1a:2001. I can try PDF/X-4 to see if that fixes it. How would I check what the text's color space is once I've exported it? I'm sorry if this is a simple thing I'm missing, I know next to nothing about graphic design or inDesign, I'm just trying to help out my grandfather by making him this cover.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It had been sent to a printer and didn't print properly.

What was wrong with the print?

The color mode of the OpenType-SVG fonts is RGB. PDF/X-1a forces all color to convert to CMYK on the export, so your PDF has to be all CMYK. If you are using the black and gray version of the font, the conversion to CMYK would use all 4-colors, which  might be what the printer is referring to.  You can use InDesign’s Separation Preview to see the CMYK output numbers:

exp.png

When you check values with Separation Preview are the other parts of the cover Black only or are they a 4-color mix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines