• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need help placing JPG and other file formats into InDesign CS5.5

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently had to get a new computer and install a legacy copy of CS5.5 on it. On my old computer running the CS 5 I could always place any graphic file format into InDesign. Now on my new version it shows some files as grayed out as if that format cannot be placed/imported. 

It doesn't show all JPGs as grayed out. Just some... so strange and frustrating. 

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

You obviously have CS 5 running on your current version of OSX, and some JPGs in the Finder are showing as placeable. Have you tried opening the grayed out JPGs in Photoshop and resaving them? Perhaps they are corrupt or have the wrong file extension? There is no advantage in placing JPGS, so maybe try resaving as PSDs?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5.5 is not supported under any current Mac or Windows operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to upgrade to InDesign 2020 to match your computer OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You obviously have CS 5 running on your current version of OSX, and some JPGs in the Finder are showing as placeable. Have you tried opening the grayed out JPGs in Photoshop and resaving them? Perhaps they are corrupt or have the wrong file extension? There is no advantage in placing JPGS, so maybe try resaving as PSDs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very helpful. I tried just opening one of the JPGs in Photoshop and resaving and that didn't work. I may copy into a new Photoshop doc and save as JPG or PSD and see what I can get to work. 

I can't afford to pay for Creative Cloud so I can't upgrade anything and risk not being able to run what I already have. So far this importing problem is the only issue that has arose. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have CustomColors.indd, CustomColors.pdf, and CustomColors.jpg. Was the CustomColors.jpg an Export from the InDesign file? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The JPGs that don't work may all be ones originally exported from InDesign CS 5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you tried opening the problem jpegs in Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines