Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need Help Understanding a Layer

Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

I'm fresh to InDesign and am tinkering with a free newsletter template offered by Adobe called Minimal Brochure Layout by estart. [link to brochure free download]

It's the "Text" layer I can't figure out [see image].

When I try to change "3 Experit lum Aquo Ercia..." text at the bottom of  the page, I'm unable to.  If I hide the "Text" layer, as expected ALL text in that group (the whole document) disappears. But, there is no child layer that specifically effects the "3 Experit lum Aquo Ericia..." text.

Soooo, what kind of layer is that and, how can I edit that target text shown in image???  Thanks!

InDesign-Q.jpg

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

It could be a page item placed on the masterpage. Open pages panel, look at the master page applied on this page and open it by double clicking on that master page. If the textframe is visible on masterpage you will be able to select and change its text

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Actually, that's placeholder text associated with your master page.

If you open your Pages panel and go to the bottom of your A4 master pages, you'll see that <Running Header> is the text variable associated with the Header Type on page 1 of your document, with the current page number (shown as A4) on the template file.

You can change the type on the master page for each file, by either:

1. Changing the page 1 Header Type to, say, "Fred" which would change it on every footer inside your docu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be a page item placed on the masterpage. Open pages panel, look at the master page applied on this page and open it by double clicking on that master page. If the textframe is visible on masterpage you will be able to select and change its text

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, that's placeholder text associated with your master page.

If you open your Pages panel and go to the bottom of your A4 master pages, you'll see that <Running Header> is the text variable associated with the Header Type on page 1 of your document, with the current page number (shown as A4) on the template file.

You can change the type on the master page for each file, by either:

1. Changing the page 1 Header Type to, say, "Fred" which would change it on every footer inside your document pages. Or,
  2. You could change the <Running Header> text to something you'd prefer to see on each footer associated with the A4 Master Pages (by default, pages 2-15).

Hope this helps. Have fun experimenting with your new template.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ahhh!   Thak you both!  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My pleasure. Glad to lend a hand.

Can I ask a favor of you? Could you please mark the answers to your question as correct? That alerts the moderators to archive this thread and share it in the Related conversations section below for users who may have similar issues.

And if you have any more questions, feel free to come back and ask for help. There are lots of sharp folks here who can lend a hand.

Good luck,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines