• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need help with HTML email from InDesign template

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used an InDesign flyer template to create a newsletter (that has multiple hyperlinks) and want to send it out in email form, using Outlook but I can't embed it in the body of the email and retain the the hyperlinks. I can attach a pdf with hyperlinks but don't want to do that.

I tried exporting it to HTML but get this error:

The gradient fill and stroke applied on object are not supported.

Non rectangular objects will not appear correctly when exported using CSS.

And the final HTML export format looks nothing like the template layout (no columns, graphics in wrong place).

Anyone know if you can embed an InDesign template into Outlook and keep live hyperlinks? Thanks.

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Sorry, but InDesign has no capability to create HTML emails!

People who know more than I do can explain why, but sending emails requires specialized mail software which can handle the bizarre and archaic requirements of mail applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but InDesign has no capability to create HTML emails!

People who know more than I do can explain why, but sending emails requires specialized mail software which can handle the bizarre and archaic requirements of mail applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> sending emails requires specialized mail software which can handle the bizarre and archaic requirements of mail applications.

Yep. And outlook and thunderbird, and TheBat!, and many others have it their own email-HTML-editors inside a program. I do prefer to do simple email-template directly in email-software. But few times was use it html-export from InDesign for it (with simple design). If needs to store template header/footer — just needs to rasterize to .jpg and place it. 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In any way you will need it to correct your html in program like dreamweaver.

>> Anyone know if you can embed an InDesign template into Outlook and keep live hyperlinks?

Indesign stores links when saves to html. Are you really have this problem?

Therefore, you can export to interactive PDF and then save from Acrobat as html. 

And in conclusion, try 3rd party thing - https://ajarproductions.com/pages/products/in5/

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notice that Adobe now has Adobe Campaign, which has an email creator in it. Is it possible to just get the email creator OR is there another program that is comparable in the creative suite that I could use that does not require me to know code?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does not provide that, it would be a nightmare to try to force useless code to be usefull.

However, such beast does exist. this:

http://premailer.dialect.ca/

you can inject code in to this and it does fix several things.  Go ahead and try with your file so you can see for yourself that happens and test it on emails.

go to mailchimp is my advice to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This information is not 100% accurate George.

Using dreamweaver is only half of the answer, that requires knowldge of code and oviouly this user does not have that. Dreamweaver can't flag wrong css used that will not work on a particular email.  Dreamweaver does offer templates for html newsletters, but again you need to know code.

You can't use indesign/acrobat or IN5 for html emails. the HTML that is generated is not the same. It will not work. 

This  link shows you what css will work based on the emial client (if you dont' understand CSS none of this will make sense):

https://templates.mailchimp.com/resources/email-client-css-support/

Email newsltters are made of tables with nestes styles, and not all CSS can be used. its limited as you just saw from my link.

IN5 generates an html document with sliced images, css and javascript. Files have to be hosted, you can't paste the page into an email. This is not the correct tool for this job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all for your replies. I guess I need to learn code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines