• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need to create pdf with thumbnail pages from InDesign

Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2012 Aug 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I create a pdf with multiple InDesign pages on each sheet (thumbnails)? I have snow leopard, cs6. Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2014 Jan 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never used this - but this seems like a very inexpensive solution to creating impositions or contact sheets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2014 Aug 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and just installed pdf writer (Mac OS x).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfwriterformac/

Works a treat. Like the old 'print to pdf' you used to be able to do in InDesign. Thanks for suggesting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2014 Mar 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create a thumbnail pdf using "Postscript file" as your printer, plus a ppd for your printer. I use my Epson ppd.

Save a .ps file, then use Acrobat to create a pdf. I have Acrobat X Pro.

Go to print setup > select paper size and thumbnail configuration, (2x2, ect.)

Printer: Postscript file, PPD: <your printer> save as a .ps file.

Go to Acrobat, File > create > pdf from file.

You will have a pdf of your thumbnails!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2014 Mar 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenie111 wrote:

You can create a thumbnail pdf using "Postscript file" as your printer, plus a ppd for your printer. I use my Epson ppd.

Save a .ps file, then use Acrobat to create a pdf. I have Acrobat X Pro.

Go to print setup > select paper size and thumbnail configuration, (2x2, ect.)

Printer: Postscript file, PPD: <your printer> save as a .ps file.

Go to Acrobat, File > create > pdf from file.

You will have a pdf of your thumbnails!

Don't use PostScript! No Distiller, no EPS. ANd even if you use postscript, don't use a device dependent PPD. Postscript is old and outdated. Leave it as fast as you can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2014 Oct 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Mac, the way I like to do it is to start by generating a PDF from INDD. Open the PDF in Apple's "Preview" app. Ctrl+P. There are all sorts of options for layout — including "Pages per Sheet" under the layout option in the menu. Then, at the bottom left-hand of the print dialog box, you'll see the PDF button. After you've made your page-layout decisions, click PDF and choose your options for PDF delivery.

In the instance documented with the attached graphics, I selected "Mail PDF." The thumbnailed PDF is created and attached to a new email.

Maybe this helps.

Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 2.38.42 PM.png  Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 2.41.01 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Preview is not a reliable PDF viewer. Use Adobe Reader or Acrobat.
  2. You should avoid creating PDF via printing. In InDesign use only Export as PDF.
  3. If someone uses the Print > PDF he should never use Save as PDF…, but Save as Adobe PDF is to select. The first one will create a PDF via Quartz, the other one will use Adobe Distiller's library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread's a bit old but the AppleScript below will make a new ID document with the pages of the active document placed in a matrix grid. Its dialog lets you set the number of columns and rows, the page margin, gutter, and tile scaling. Extra pages are added if needed. Because the tiles are placed pages you can make changes to the original pages and they get updated in the matrix version.

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/MakePageThumbnails.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think himmontgomery has a good way of doing this. I understand the other comment that this is not the correct way to generate a PDF that might be used for printing, BUT that is not what this thumbnail document is probably intended for. It is just a thumbnail example of how pages look together, perhaps you have a selection of flyers and you want to show the client in an emailable file a quick overview of how the family looks together. Generating a PDF thumbnail this way is fine.

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script doesn't have any of the PDF generation problems–you can export the matrix page to any preset. Plus it lets you control the arrangement on any page size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried something SIMPLE and it worked. Had to share for all those that have helped me solve problems in this forum!

• Setup your thumbnails they way you want to print in the printer dialog box.
  • Click on PRINTER in the lower left of the Print Dialog Box.
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 2.20.31 PM.jpg
  • When the printer screen comes up, under the PDF drop down box in the lower left, select "Save as Postscript..."
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 2.09.15 PM.jpg
  • Click PRINT, prompts you select where you want to save and set the filename.
  • With the printer dialog box comes back up, press PRINT again.
  • The file will be saved in your selected location with this extension (.indd.ps)
  • Double click to open it with Mac Preview. Perfect thumbnails in a PDF! The Preview conversion turns .ps to .pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know the first post was in 2012, but it was my question until an hour ago.

If the maximum number of page per sheet is 16 and you have a mac, follow these steps:

1. Export your InDesign file to a PDF file.

2. Open your file with the Preview app (Not Acrobat)

3. Click on preview(#1) and select Layout.

4. Select the number of pages (#2)

5. Save your file. (#3)

6. Be happy.

Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 5.54.26 PM.jpg

I'd like to help and I've just done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread has a link to the Javascript version of my thumbnail script:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/printing-thumbnails/m-p/11886883#M417629

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Open you PDF in Acrobat, Print to PDF, choose Multi page layout with many options - There you go. 

pages per sheet.PNG

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines