• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need To Replace Missing Characters With Another Font

Engaged ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm doing some production art in InDesign CC 2018 on a Windows 10 64-bit machine. The document is a product manual for sporting equipment and it's in English and Chinese. The body text was assigned a typeface called Bryant Pro Regular using a Paragraph Style. However, it has a limited character set which does not include the many missing Chinese characters. The typeface that does have these characters is called SimSun, which I made a Character Style out of.

Is there a way (maybe using Find/Change) to apply a Character Style with the SimSun font where the missing characters show up? My first thought was to use GREP but I don't believe there's a way to describe missing characters with it. There are 205 pages to contend with so I really don't want to have to manually select each instance and apply the style to. Even with a shortcut assigned to the style, it'll take a long time.

InD Missing Fonts.jpg

It's only an island if you look at it from the water.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

This page might help with your issue. Tackling Missing Glyphs

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This page might help with your issue. Tackling Missing Glyphs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

I would like to know if the steps suggested above worked for you, or the issue still persists.

Kindly update the discussion if you need further assistance with it.

Thanks,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sristhi,

Well in the above scenario we can able to see the missing font or glyphs, but in may case it doesnt reflect either in find font or else in preflight. Its really painful to find such character, where in generally what I do is, will delete pages one by one and later paragraph by paragraph, other wise there is no option to find out unless until I dig deep. If I generate PDF with the missing character, while I open PDF it shows "Number out of range". Once I fix that issue, PDF wont prompt the message. Usually when ever I find that missing character generally its not any glyph, its just character highlighted with pink color for just one space and creates so much fuss. Could you please suggest how to find out such weird left out characters, it will save lot of time. Hope I'm clear. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sunil,

in the InDesignSecrets article there is a link to a script by Peter Kahrel, that is not working anymore.

Here the link that is working:

Manage missing glyphs (CS4 and later)

https://creativepro.com/files/kahrel/indesign/missing_glyphs.html

Version history
25 Nov. 2019: Added the possibility to apply a character style to any missing glyphs.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much. This script is brilliant, and saved me an incalculable amount of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines