Highlighted

Need to store INDD file in PDF Metadata

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I want to store binary INDD file by converting it as Base64 in PDF Metadata. But at the time of converting Base64 to Binary, data is getting corrupted.

Also, it's taking too much time in loading a PDF which had Metadata: 5 mins for loading 5MB PDF having 4 MB of INDD Metadata.

Please let me know how shall I proceed?

TOPICS
How to, Performance, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Need to store INDD file in PDF Metadata

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I want to store binary INDD file by converting it as Base64 in PDF Metadata. But at the time of converting Base64 to Binary, data is getting corrupted.

Also, it's taking too much time in loading a PDF which had Metadata: 5 mins for loading 5MB PDF having 4 MB of INDD Metadata.

Please let me know how shall I proceed?

TOPICS
How to, Performance, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 28, 2020 0
Advisor ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to mimic the way that Illustrator can open a PDF created by itself?

With Metadata do you mean XMP?

An alternative could be an attachment embedded in the PDF document, but I vaguely remember controversial discussions of that feature. Besides I'd be surprised if you can convince InDesign's PDF export to produce such an attachment, so you'll likely need some extra tool.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The attachment would be done after-the-fact in Acrobat Pro. Attachments can be done with the Attachment pane or with the attachment comment tool. 

Some programs can embed the native file in the PDF automatically, such as Illustrator and Photoshop. Some programs can automatically attach the native file, such as Microsoft Office files (in Windows).

AFAIK, InDesign has to be done manually--but I could see that being a good feature request for PDF export to keep on par with AI and PS.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, By metadata I mean XMP. I am using CEP extension for this functionality. But I heard that CEP extension is not supported by Acrobat. So is there any way I can achieve this via any script?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that PDF metadata was intended to store entire files. As Dirk pointed out, you can add an InDesign file as an attachment to the PDF which can be accomplished using Adobe Acrobat, but you won't be able to achieve this during a PDF export directly from InDesign.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 0
Advisor ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chad, do you know more about those attachments? I only came across once with a PDF produced by Adobe, and had the distant memory that someone spoke against them maybe here in the forums.

Another alternative could be to mimic the approach of Illustrator. Without even looking at such a file I'd assume it is a binary stream object, stored in some private entry of the PDF structure …

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020 0