• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need tool for Photoshopping images placed in InDesign frames to a targeted effective resolution.

Participant ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have 15 Indesign documents containing about 50 linked images each. In most cases, the Indesign frames are masking/cropping the images. I want the images, as instructed by my prepress guy, to print at 305dpi, but I also first need to edit the images in Photoshop.

There are quite a few images and I need to go through them and clean them up to get them ready for press, ie., color correction, sharpening, applying filters, etc. I also want to resize the images to have an exact effective resolution of 305 dpi in the InDesign frame, as instructed by my prespress guy.

Is there a tool or workflow in Photoshop that makes it easy to resize an image to a targeted effective resolution in an InDesign frame?

Thanks! Tom

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also want to resize the images to have an exact effective resolution of 305 dpi in the InDesign frame, as instructed by my prespress guy.

If you are providing a press ready PDF, the effective resolution can be set on export via the Compression tab, something like this would work:

Screen Shot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @tturiano:

You can also set the size and ppi in Photoshop using an action that you record and play back on selected images, a folder, or open images.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/creating-actions.html

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@rob day 's solution creates the PDF with all pixel images with 305dpi if the effective dpi is higher. If the effective dpi is lower, the resolution is not touched. You need to curate those files manually in Photoshop by scaling-up the picture. This will, however, not increase the image quality, but by doing this operation manually you stay in control.

@Barb Binder's solution has the disadvantage that when pictures are scaled in Indesign to fit in a certain area that their effective dpi is anything but not the set dpi. So, my workflow is to ignore the set dpi and to check the files to meet the minimal requirement. If I detect files being at a resolution that is too low, I scale them up in Photoshop if that is possible.

Abambo_0-1626204884379.png

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any particular reason you need to do this?

Check the image resolution in InDesign using the preflight panel.

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/preflighting-files-handoff.html

Set resolution to 305

If all 305 or above you can do what Rob says, no need to resizes images individually.

If any below you'll need to make a call on whether it's ok or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks All. I forgot about the preflight panel. I once knew about this, but simply forgot about it...I don't print enough I guess....and then fretted trying to figure out how I was going to have to somehow calculate the image sizes in Photoshop based on cropping in InDesign @#$%^&*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines