• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nested character styles

Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to apply a nested character style halfway through a line of text and would like to use a particular word as a prompt for this. It works for a single character but is there a way to make it work using a whole word?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Thanks for your responses, folks!

This is what I'm looking to achieve.

I've found a work-around, as described in this jpg but it means ading an extra rogue character in all of the copy lines. Is there a more elegant way to achieve this automated formatting?

Visual.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

If I understand well, you want to bold “Season X DVD X Discs” where X are numbers. Is that right? You can easily do that using a single GREP style, like this (assuming that either season number and number of DVDs are under 10):

Capture d’écran 2020-06-07 à 12.19.32.jpg

Capture d’écran 2020-06-07 à 12.24.10.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no nested styles in InDesign. Are you taking about Grep Styles? If so then give an example of what you intend to find and apply the character style to, some screenshots of what you did, what works and what you intend to make it work will help

-Manan

[Edited]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no nested styles in InDesign.

What? Of course, there are nested styles!

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/drop-caps-nested-styles.html

@Matthew

But as Manan said screenshot or examples would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh that was a big wrong statement, thanks for catching on this one. I may have had layers on my mind when i answered this, i totally mixed up Nested Styles and Grep Styles together. I have striked my response to correct the grossly wrong statment

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matthew:

We can help with this, but I am echoing the need for a screen shot. Otherwise we are just guessing at what you need.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matthew,

A couple of things:

• To have a nested style in the middle of a paragraph, you will need two nested styles, each with a trigger.
  • The trigger can't be a word. If you try to make the trigger "Adobe", for example, it will look for an A or d or o or b or e, whichever it finds first. This is great for punctuation where you can use .,; for the trigger.
  • You can create a character style and apply it with GREP if the text fits a pattern.

Please tell us more about what your situation with that screen shot so we can give you the best approach.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is the special End Nested Style character that might be useful Type>Insert Special Character>Other:

Screen Shot 24.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your responses, folks!

This is what I'm looking to achieve.

I've found a work-around, as described in this jpg but it means ading an extra rogue character in all of the copy lines. Is there a more elegant way to achieve this automated formatting?

Visual.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand well, you want to bold “Season X DVD X Discs” where X are numbers. Is that right? You can easily do that using a single GREP style, like this (assuming that either season number and number of DVDs are under 10):

Capture d’écran 2020-06-07 à 12.19.32.jpg

Capture d’écran 2020-06-07 à 12.24.10.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! using the \d is the key!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines