• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New document creation issues

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated my Indesign to v16.0, merged all my setting from previous version and started off from there. From first creation of a new document, adjusting sizes of page from remebered settings prior was a glitch in the width. I had to force the change by using arrows to make dimension go up or down and then I could manually input the width dimension I wanted, then could tab through for the rest.

Since then it is becoming more problematic, have to do the same process, but when I hit create, nothing happens. Do it again, and again nothing happens. I have to create a document from a saved setting or open up a previous file, remove content and then change document settings and work from there.

Any thoughts or I may just revert back to 15.1.3 and throw the new verion away.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which OS version?

Have you tried resetting your InDesign preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

W10 64bit, same PC, same settings that have never failed me. Just started when the new update came in and never experienced before. So I'm not certain as to what the settings/preferences should be resetted to, if at all.

Hamish057_0-1606720071632.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To reset your preferences:

1) Close InDesign
2) Double click on Adobe InDesign's icon to launch it
3) QUICKLY hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift. (for Windows) or CTL+OPT+CMD+Shift (for Mac OS X)
4) When a dialog appears, ask you “Delete InDesign Preference Files?” Click Yes.

(If you don't see the question do it again.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek,

Thank you for your responses, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "(If you don't see the question do it again.)" and what exactly are the preference files being deleted and how will this affect the performance of the program?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answers to your two questions:

– 4) When a dialog appears, ask you “Delete InDesign Preference Files?” Click Yes.

– Trashing the preferences (resetting them to the factory default settings) often resolves application corruption issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hamish057,

InDesign preferences and cache files are stored in subfolders of your User folder by default.

When on Windows 10 you can get preferences and caches of InDesign 2021 version 16:

InDesign Preferences:

UserName > AppData > Roaming > Adobe > InDesign > Version 16.0

InDesign Caches:

UserName > AppData > Local > Adobe > InDesign > Version 16.0

Rename both Version 16.0 folders. Then InDesign will start with default settings.

Note: To see and get access to subfolder AppData in your user folder you have to enable the file explorer to see hidden files and folders.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

// EDITED Version 15.0 > Verion 16.0 ( because we talk InDesign 2021 and not 2020 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Uwe,

Thank you for your response. I can navigate easily to these folders, if I rename these two Version16.0 folders, what should they be called?

Thanks, Hamish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hamish057,

the purpose of renaming is just to get them out of sight of a starting InDesign so that InDesign is forced to create them at start up anew. Rename them as you like, perhaps with a day code like 201201-1-Version 16.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This Indesign Version 16 program is problematic. I have done as all suggested, an update has come through and performed this update also hoping for better. I still can't create a new document, it will allow me to input the information I want to create. But when I go to create and launch, nothing happens and closes the creation dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines