• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Document Presets

Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In InDesign, when I make and name a new document preset, where exactly is it stored? InDesign Defaults, InDesign SavedData, or where exactly?

Where are the default named document presets hiding?

I know named document presets vanish when you reset preferences, and I know that you have to jump through some hoops to *really* save them as .dcst files.

Mike Witherell
TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

I think, custom document presets are stored in the file InDesign Defaults.

At least I could find the name of one of my custom presets there two times after I opened the file with NotePad++ on Windows 10. No idea where the default document presets are stored. Could be somewhere in the application folder of InDesign. Maybe in a folder that is language specific. Why do you ask? Are you missing some default ones?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Mike Witherell 
I think Uwe is right. I've never found any corresponding files (on macOS) like you would find PDF joboptions.

Depending on what you're trying to do, you can use this one-liner script to export your document presets.

app.exportPresets(ExportPresetFormat.DOCUMENT_PRESETS_FORMAT, File("~/Desktop/IdDocumentPresets.dcst"));

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tend to use the New Page Sizes.xml feature as sizes created in this fashion are visible in the "create alternate layout" dialog box, whereas sizes created with the document presets feature are not. I've written more about that over here: https://colecandoo.com/2019/08/18/document-presets-vs-new-page-sizes-xml-adding-page-sizes/

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mike said: "…and I know that you have to jump through some hoops to *really* save them as .dcst files."

Hm. The only thing to remember when saving the presets without a script is:

If you want to save them all to one single *.dcst file, select all in the panel.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines