• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New endnote 'place cursor' feature not working t

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After initial excitement over how useful the new endnote controls are for working with endnotes in magazine text, it's only serving to massively disrupt my workflow.

InDesign insists on adding a new page for the endnote frame, whether or not I have 'load place cursor' checked in the document endnote options. Not the end of the world, but InDesign also makes a new page for the endnote frame any time I extend the story. I never have the chance to place the endnote.

For example, I have the story ending on page 3, InDesign makes a new page 4 for the endnotes. I then make a new threaded text frame from the story to take the text over onto another page – InDesign makes another new page, moves the endnotes there, emptying the already-existing endnote frame (but not deleting it, or the already-existing automatically created page).

The long and short of it is, I spend half my time trying to undo the pages that InDesign is adding automatically, every time I reflow the text that's already there. I assumed the 'place cursor' checkbox would stop this behaviour, but it's made absolutely no difference – the place cursor never loads.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

what you can try: Move the text frame with the endnotes text to the pasteboard.

Then remove the extra page.

If new endnotes will be added to the story the endnote texts would be generated in the frame on the pasteboard. Of course the endnote text frame should never oevrflow. So make it big enough out there.

Note: You could expand the pasteboard by changing some preferences.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And another thing:

Click the text in-port or out-port of the endnotes text frame to load the cursor.
Then remove all endnotes text frames. Now all endnote texts are loaded to the place gun.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you please add a small video showing the issue?

I fail to understand the following:

alexandere51802575  wrote

InDesign insists on adding a new page for the endnote frame, whether or not I have 'load place cursor' checked in the document endnote options. 

If you have "Load the place cursor" selected then this should not happen. What scope are you using? (Story or Document?)

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem. I don't want endnotes to be placed in a new text frame, I want them to appear at the end of the story they relate to, and flow with that text - as they used to. But you've removed that option in the latest version of InDesign. So when I place a story in a document (from Word), its endnotes appear in a new page. I have to move them back on to the last page of the story they relate to - but then if I make any change to the story, such as inserting a picture so that the text ends lower down the page than it used to, the endnote frame creates a new page (inserting one in the middle of the document) and relocates itself there. Then I have to move the endnote frame back to the previous page and delete the new page I never wanted created in the first place. This happened even with 'load the place cursor' selected.

I really wish you hadn't decided that endnotes had to appear in a new frame; it is not at all helpful. But I could probably live with it if the frame stayed where it was rather than jumped to a new page every time I changed the story above it. Why does that happen? And why isn’t there a way to stop it?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also have this issue, despte having 'Load the Place Cursor' selected in my Endnote Options. Please fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines