New folder shortcut doesn't work Indesign

New Here ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The keyboard shortcut for creating a new folder while saving has been not working in inDesign for some time now. Has anyone found a workaround for this? Really hinders workflow.

TOPICS
Bug, Feature request, Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us what operating system (exactly) you're running. Please tell us (exactly) what InDesign version you're using.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

I am currently running macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Indesign version 16.1

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @justing76488574:

On my Mac (11.3) and InDesign (16.1), Cmd+Sh+N creates a new folder when saving a file. 

shortcut.png

On Windows (10.0.1.19042) and InDesign (16.1), Ctr+Sh+N creates a new folder when saving a file. 

shortcut2.png

What shortcut are you using? When are you invoking it? 

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

I'm using the exact same shortcut on my Mac (cmd +shift+N) once I get to the Save as dialogue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't have a solution, just wanted to chime and say I'm experiencing this too. The ability to create a new folder with the keyboard shortcut seems to come and go with InDesign updates/upgrades. I've had it function and then suddenly stop working probably half a dozen times in the 4 years or so I've been using Adobe CC. When I attempt to create a new folder from inside the Save As… dialog, invoking the shortcut just causes my Mac to play the alert sound. Of course, the button in the dialog works, but as justing76488574 noted, this hampers workflow. 

Notably, I never had this problem using InDesign CS 5.5 or any of the prior versions.

As for the suggested solutions, deleting the cache files did nothing, nor did booting my computer and launching InDesign before anything else. The command does work in all other Adobe applications I use - mostly Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and Acrobat.

Since I know I'll be asked, I'm a full version behind the latest InDesign install, using InDesign 15.1.3 on a Mac running Mac OS 10.14.6 (Mojave). It's disappointing to learn that the next upgrade of InDesign will NOT fix this issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines