• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New lines won't let me space them properly?

Contributor ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using text boxes in InDesign with the Basic Paragraph style. The only thing I've changed is the italics amount and the font weight, depending on if it's a header or not. The main problem is, when it goes to a new line, it doesn't line up with the hyphenated text. This makes sense, as it's not a list. However, when I try to manually use the spacebar to nudge the next line forward 3 spaces, it doesn't move at all. The spaces are there because I can backspace and the text won't move for 3 backspaces. But it's not showing up in the text box. Does anybody know why this might me?

VtZgwPA.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the bulleted list feature if you change the bullet character to a hyphen like this:

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 10.54.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 10.56.30 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... or use indents:

Screen Shot 2018-08-24 at 08.20.40.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may give that a shot, because whenever I use the "bulleted list" style, it tries to bullet every single thing, when that's not what I want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's still changing both things. I can't seem to move it forward without it moving the bullet point as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2018 Aug 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ethandale:

It's still changing both things. I can't seem to move it forward without it moving the bullet point as well.

What exactly do you mean by "thing"? I'm guessing "line"?

If so, start with Type > Show Hidden Characters and take a look at the end of each line. If you see a hard return marker ¶, remove it. Compare the two "paragraphs" below with hidden characters visible.

Screenshot 2018-08-25 08.49.28.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2018 Aug 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to what Barb said, and answering your original question, when you are pressing the spacebar three times, there is room for those spaces on the previous line, so that is where they are going. When you turn on hidden characters as she explains, delete the extra spaces.

The correct (and trouble-free) way to format these paragraphs is wth bullets, as explained by Migintosh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Ethan,

I would like to know if the steps suggested above worked for you, or the issue still persists.

Kindly update the discussion if you need further assistance with it.

Thanks,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines