Highlighted

New script applies characters styles

Contributor ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just finished a new script, "Style Characters." Free to download. Many of my projects the text is imported from Word, and sometimes the bold and italics get lost. So I made a script to search for those and other text decorations and apply character styles. Then the styling isn't lost when applying paragraph styles or clearing overrides.

https://www.marspremedia.com/software/indesign/style-characters

William Campbell
Mars Premedia

Thank you for sharing your script for free, William!
By the way, a couple of weeks ago I had to write a similar script for my own needs. It turned out that Bold, Italic, and Bold Italic weren't enough. Our designers often use something like Medium or Light Italic.

Here's my script in case someone is interested.

— Kas

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

New script applies characters styles

Contributor ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just finished a new script, "Style Characters." Free to download. Many of my projects the text is imported from Word, and sometimes the bold and italics get lost. So I made a script to search for those and other text decorations and apply character styles. Then the styling isn't lost when applying paragraph styles or clearing overrides.

https://www.marspremedia.com/software/indesign/style-characters

William Campbell
Mars Premedia

By the way, a couple of weeks ago I had to write a similar script for my own needs. It turned out that Bold, Italic, and Bold Italic weren't enough. Our designers often use something like Medium or Light Italic.

— Kas

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 12, 2020 3
Guru ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

— Kas

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2020 0
Contributor ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure it is possible to apply Medium, Semibold, Heavy, Black, anything for Bold. Same with different font families having Italic versus Oblique. Set character styles to the desired font styles. This can be done before or after running the script, by adjusting the document's characters styles, each one's specific settings. As for what to find, Bold and Italic is all I ever need. The script is meant for imported text from Word or Pages, which is basically all I ever get for text content to flow into a layout. From those apps, text that is strong or emphasis isn't anything other than "Bold" or "Italic," from clickings the buttons with B or I on it. Once imported into the layout, then run the script, those instances become character styles that may be edited to any font style desired.

William Campbell
Mars Premedia

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2020 0
Contributor ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kasyan, yes I see your script covers more possibilities. I imagine you're getting content already imported and styled but not yet set to character styles. Then yes Bold and Italic would not be enough. Also I see you linked to my script. Thank you! I will do the same in return.

William Campbell
Mars Premedia

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2020 0
Contributor ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've added a link to your script on the Style Characters page. If any other of my scripts you have something related let me know. Always happy to link to others. Thanks.

William Campbell
Mars Premedia

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2020 0
Guru ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, William!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2020 0