• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New sections showing on right in InDesign but moved to left in pdf

Participant ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the attached image you can see the new section/chapter starts on the right side (I set it to start on an equal number). 

But when I export to pdf the page is moved to the left and the next spread is broken and the left side from that spread moves up beside this page (that is supposed to be right.

Usually, my documents are exported as they are shown in InDesign. What could cause this behavior?

2021-07-06 15_17_15-Preview af bogen til hjemmesiden.indd @ 100%.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

I see what's happening.

You're arbitrarily setting up the start of your new chapters as a "Right-Hand" page, even if there isn't a left-side page. InDesign recognizes your distinction and lays out the way you'd like, but Acrobat doesn't recognize that because there isn't a left-hand page. It screws up your pagination (actually, that's on you because you don't have the right page count to match your page numbering) until it reaches the next instance of no-left-page/arbitrary "Right-Hand" page a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show a screenshot from the Pages panel so we can see a bit more about how ot is set up. (Remember even numbers are always left pages...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant odd number, not even.

There is a new section at the first page and then again at the next one. In the first instance this works as it normally does - the first page in the pdf stands alone. But the next chapter has the same setup - new section for first page and for second page. The effect is different though.

2021-07-06 15_57_49-Preview af bogen til hjemmesiden.indd @ 100%.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is how it should be, odd pages are always right, even pages always left. It would confuse the h*ll out of  a reader and printer if you would change that 😉 (It is possible, sure, with the Allow pages to shuffle option, but I would recommend inserting a blank page on the left, just like in 'real' books).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what's happening.

You're arbitrarily setting up the start of your new chapters as a "Right-Hand" page, even if there isn't a left-side page. InDesign recognizes your distinction and lays out the way you'd like, but Acrobat doesn't recognize that because there isn't a left-hand page. It screws up your pagination (actually, that's on you because you don't have the right page count to match your page numbering) until it reaches the next instance of no-left-page/arbitrary "Right-Hand" page and balances out.

Short story: You need to put blank left hand pages in those spreads to get your page count right. For what it's worth, I didn't learn this until someone in my shop made this same mistake. So you're not the Lone Ranger; this happens a lot.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Randy. 

Thats interesting. This bad habit comes from using the book function, where I'm used to InDesign adding blank pages automatically between my chapters - which all start on the right-hand page.

Adding blank pages manually worked immediately here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to help.

Can I ask a favor of you, though? Could you mark the answers to the question that worked for you? That alerts the moderators to archive this and flag it for the "Related conversations" at the top right of this thread for people who have similar issues.

And anytime you need a hand, please feel free to come back to these forums and sound the alarm. There are a lot of sharp folks around here who are happy to help.

Hope the day treats you well,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines