Highlighted

Newbie Indesign - Making Section Numbering Static and fixed for referencing to external material

New Here ,
May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm considering using Indesign for creating a technical manual.  A big criteria I have is that I wish to number my sections/chapters etc in a way that will remain fixed/static as I add new subjects later.  I need to reference/link section numbers to other material such as training lessons and exam materials and I don't won't the original source numbering to change because that numbering is referenced in other sepearte material/documents.

For example, would it be possible to number each Chapter as 1, 2, 3 etc and then have sub-sections headed as 1010, 1020, 1030 etc. (for Chap. 1),   2010, 2020, 2030 etc. (for Chap. 2), therefore allowing the ability to insert extra sub-sections without spoiling the flow of the manual, and at teh same time maintaining a fixed/static numbering format to not wreck the referencing to external material.

Has anyone done anything like this?  Does Indesign have a tool or ability to help automate this process, or would this be a 'manual task' to make it work like this?  Any experience in this or better ways to do it?  Please share you ideas.

Make a content-mouseclick on your page in page-window, now select this (dont have the english client):

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-26 um 11.27.49.png

Now you can adjust the numbering, to start from a new pagenumber, a new type of numbering like roman, or whith a prefix, which can too be in the auto-numbering-character.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-26 um 11.28.04.png

TOPICS
Feature request, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Newbie Indesign - Making Section Numbering Static and fixed for referencing to external material

New Here ,
May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm considering using Indesign for creating a technical manual.  A big criteria I have is that I wish to number my sections/chapters etc in a way that will remain fixed/static as I add new subjects later.  I need to reference/link section numbers to other material such as training lessons and exam materials and I don't won't the original source numbering to change because that numbering is referenced in other sepearte material/documents.

For example, would it be possible to number each Chapter as 1, 2, 3 etc and then have sub-sections headed as 1010, 1020, 1030 etc. (for Chap. 1),   2010, 2020, 2030 etc. (for Chap. 2), therefore allowing the ability to insert extra sub-sections without spoiling the flow of the manual, and at teh same time maintaining a fixed/static numbering format to not wreck the referencing to external material.

Has anyone done anything like this?  Does Indesign have a tool or ability to help automate this process, or would this be a 'manual task' to make it work like this?  Any experience in this or better ways to do it?  Please share you ideas.

Make a content-mouseclick on your page in page-window, now select this (dont have the english client):

Now you can adjust the numbering, to start from a new pagenumber, a new type of numbering like roman, or whith a prefix, which can too be in the auto-numbering-character.

TOPICS
Feature request, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 25, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not clear to me from your description why it won't work to simply type the numbers as regular text. You haven't mentioned that you need them to update automatically, if I've understood correctly. So just type whatever numbers you want. Does that work?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2020 1
Advocate ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2020 0