Highlighted

next style not working

Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, i created a style called "Topic head-ShortArticle" i have to to apply next style called" Highlights from"

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 2.45.31 PM.png

Here i have "highlights from" style to have a next style as "body copy:

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 2.45.50 PM.png

however, when i apply the first style in my chain (Topic head-ShortArticle), nothing happens. what am i dong wrong?

Select the three sequential paragraphs on the page, then right click Topic head-ShortArticle in the Styles panel and choose Apply Topic head-ShortArticle then Next Style.

~Barb

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

next style not working

Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, i created a style called "Topic head-ShortArticle" i have to to apply next style called" Highlights from"

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 2.45.31 PM.png

Here i have "highlights from" style to have a next style as "body copy:

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 2.45.50 PM.png

however, when i apply the first style in my chain (Topic head-ShortArticle), nothing happens. what am i dong wrong?

Select the three sequential paragraphs on the page, then right click Topic head-ShortArticle in the Styles panel and choose Apply Topic head-ShortArticle then Next Style.

~Barb

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 30, 2018 0
Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

meant to ask what am i doing wrong

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2018 0
Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2018 2
Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ahhh. i though it would auto format the next and next by just applying the first one.. ok, yes, now it works. that kind of sucks to have to do that. guess is less clicks anyway.

thank you

I am trying Barb..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2018 1
Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will if you add it to the object style.

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2018 1
Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i did not do that. either. ok. i wil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2018 0
Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok. with the object frame it sure speeds things up.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2018 1
Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what we are going for!

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2018 0
Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a bunch of body paras, set the Body Copy paragraph tag to Next Style: Same Style and then select all the paragraphs and follow my instructions from above.

When that is working, you can automate this further with an object style—just call in Topic head-ShortArticle and enable Apply Next Style and the rest will work automatically.

Screenshot 2018-08-30 13.58.05.png

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2018 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoa...the whole page just refreshed while I was typing. Barb nailed it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2018 3
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to select all of the text you want formatted this way. Right click on the paragraph style that's first in the chain. From the contextual menu choose apply xxxxxxxxx and next.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2018 2
Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU Bob!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 30, 2018 0
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With all due respect, what is the point of 'next style' if you have to do a workaround to get it to work?

Like Jonathan, I set up a 3 paragraph styles. One follows the other. I should be able to hit a hard return and invoke the next style, and the nexyt. But it doesn't happen. If I right click on my para style, it tells me to clear my char styles! And i have no char styles associated with the para styles. To make matters even worst, I'm told to use object styles!

I use [or try to use] the 'next style' feature with text generated within indesign from Photoshop 'File Info...'. Ideally, I could invoke the Caption > Generate Static Caption and it would produce text below the image that can be quickly formatted.

Ask Adobe to sort this out. This seems so simple.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0