Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No errors but no text in Data Merge

Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

When I import my .txt file (seperated by Tabs) without any error messages for the data merge, I don't see any text when 'view example' is checked.

- I tried a working Data Merge file and deleted the data
- I tried to use the Data Merge file in another document
- I saved the .txt file to .csv (separated by ; )
- I reinstalled InDesign

TOPICS
Bug , Scripting , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

I found the error. In the data export Excel placed extra Tabs after textfield 1.

I removed the unnecessary Tabs and InDesign displayed all text whitin the .txt document.

Still strange because I used the .csv seperated by ; and that still doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is so strange. The .txt files have the same fieldnames, the moment I change the data and load it into InDesign the text doesn't show up without any errors. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found the error. In the data export Excel placed extra Tabs after textfield 1.

I removed the unnecessary Tabs and InDesign displayed all text whitin the .txt document.

Still strange because I used the .csv seperated by ; and that still doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines