Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Non Printable Layer TOC not appearing in PDF Bookmarks

New Here ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I created a layer set as Not Printable for the purpose of constructing a TOC with 'invisible' headings.

It works well and I could see the headings in the layer appear in the TOC and at the same time, remain 'invisible' in the ebook.

However, the same headings ended up missing in the PDF Bookmarks.

I should also note that when I exported to ePub, I received a bunch of errors messages that read:

TOC text anchor '_idTOCAnchor-25'  is missing.

The number of missing text anchors flagged corresponds to the number of missing headings in the PDF Bookmarks, hence I am certain these 2 issues are related.

Subsequently, I checked "Print Layer" and all the issues went away. Except that the TOC headings are appearing in the book where I do not want them to.

How may I have headings in a non printing layer appear in TOC as well as in the PDF bookmarks?

Thanks in advance.

Julia

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried placing the layer under a white box to hide it ? So the information is on the page but actually hidden ?

We got a client to do this on an Epub and PDF and it worked great for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A variant:

A TOC where the text frame only touches the page and is positioned mainly outside on the pasteboard.

I found this variant working very well.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This does work fine but as you mentioned - what side of the page do you need to place it and then you end up haivng text boxes on the pasteboard... I use layers to control it with content above them. Have done it this way for a long time. (Note: I hate lots of things sitting on the pasteboard LOL)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always used the technique mentioned by @Laubender, i.e., have a text frame that touches the page. I seem to recall it matters which side of the text frame it is. Don't have time to test at the moment, but if it's the right side, just stretch out the frame; if it's the left side, create an indent on the frame using Text Frame Optiopns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I do this, I put the text frames above the page instead of beside, that way just the bottom of the text frame needs to touch the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines