• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Non-Sequential Number Import?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 100 non-sequential codes (numbers & characters) that I'd like to import into InDesign so that they attach to 100 "golden tickets". The 100 golden tickets are all the same design, but just essentially 100 copies (pages). It'd be great if I didn't have to add all of these codes individually.

Is something like this possible in InDesign? Any help would be wonderful.

Thank you.

TOPICS
Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Hi Jesse,

can we assume that the design of the tickets is already done and every ticket is on its own page?

Then you could work with InDesign's Primary Text Frame feature to flow in all your contents.

If not, and your 100 tickets are not assembled yet, you could work with InDesign's data merge feature where you can automatically place ( for example ) one JPEG image for every ticket and the contents of the ticket number respectively.

Details:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/data-merge.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru , Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

great!!

yes. ok. you did the data merge, next; make a TOC that floats on the side, that TOC only has the certificate numbers. like this ( as you can see i did like you, one field, created 150 page document):

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 8.11.36 AM.png

now, its ok for the TOC to overflow, leave it like that. we just need a TOC with bookmarks set up. Export to .pdf and make sure the "Bookmarks" is checked on your export dialog, see below:

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 8.11.58 AM.png

Next, from Acrobat, go to the organize pages, see my screenshot below:

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 8.12.34 AM.png

From the Split by section

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as in a data merge?

do you have the codes in an excell sheet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently, the codes are listed in a TextEdit doc, but I can certainly drop them into Excel...

In the end, I'd like to export 100 JPGs of the same ticket, but each ticket has a different code. I hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, this helps. thank you

You will do a simple data merge with one field. This video below will show you how to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNXrofCKh-A

now, you will export a .pdf with 100 pages. would you like 100 .pdf files each named to match the number on the ticket? if so, i can show you how to do that next. let me know. thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jonathan,

That worked seamlessly. Thank you very much. I really appreciate it.

If it's not too much trouble, I would love to know how to follow suit with the file names, as well. I'm looking for a video like the one you sent me, but I can't seem to find the correct keywords...

Best,

Jesse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

great!!

yes. ok. you did the data merge, next; make a TOC that floats on the side, that TOC only has the certificate numbers. like this ( as you can see i did like you, one field, created 150 page document):

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 8.11.36 AM.png

now, its ok for the TOC to overflow, leave it like that. we just need a TOC with bookmarks set up. Export to .pdf and make sure the "Bookmarks" is checked on your export dialog, see below:

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 8.11.58 AM.png

Next, from Acrobat, go to the organize pages, see my screenshot below:

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 8.12.34 AM.png

From the Split by section option choose "Top level bookmarks".

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 8.12.47 AM.png

now, from the output options ( has a gear icon next) choose a folder you want to export the files into, in the file labeling option select "use bookmark names for file names". click ok, and split document. done.

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 8.13.02 AM.png

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jesse,

can we assume that the design of the tickets is already done and every ticket is on its own page?

Then you could work with InDesign's Primary Text Frame feature to flow in all your contents.

If not, and your 100 tickets are not assembled yet, you could work with InDesign's data merge feature where you can automatically place ( for example ) one JPEG image for every ticket and the contents of the ticket number respectively.

Details:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/data-merge.html

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laubender,

Your reply is much appreciated. Thank you.

Best,

Jesse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines