Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

non sequential page numbering

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 
I have an InDesign question. Is there a way to import an external spreadsheet like excell to create a new page number style. I'm not talking about the page numbers printed on the document, I just meen that when it is exported as a pdf the page numbers will phisically be non sequential, ie 112, 156, 184.

Thanks
Jane 

TOPICS
EPUB , Feature request , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jane,

yes. One can do this with threaded text frames where every frame contains one single paragraph that itself contains one item of that list of arbitrary page names. But use this workflow when all work is done and no pages will be added or removed from the document anymore.

To semi-automate the workflow you need the Primary Text Frame feature, additionally a paragraph style that forces the next paragraph to a new frame and your list of page names formatted with that paragraph style.

Master Pages with two text frames threaded. Note that symbol on the selected one that indicates a "Primary Text Frame":

ArbitraryPageNames-Master.PNG

A Master is applied to all document pages. Note that paragraph style in the Paragraph Styles panel.

Let's switch to spread one of the document pages starting with page 1:

ArbitraryPageNames-Spread1.PNG

On the pasteboard is the list of arbitrary page names, for now not formatted with the new paragraph style named "PageNames". Right to it a duplicate of the frame where exactly this is done. The frame shows overset text, because the applied paragraph style forces the next paragraph that contains "124" to the next threaded frame.

If you now click the overset symbol you will load all the remaining text to your cursor.

Hover with the loaded cursor over the frame on the page, if you simply click, the frame will be loaded with one paragraph. If you hold the Shift key and then click all the other contents will be loaded to a story with threaded text frames like this:

ArbitraryPageNames-FlowingFromPageToPage.PNG

Download my sample document from my Dropbox account and see for yourself. Also inspect the paragraph style:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bc1hr65qa3np13c/ArbitraryPageNames-2021.indd?dl=1

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines