Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Numbered figure captions out of order

Engaged ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using ID 15.1.1 x64 on a PC Win10 v1909

I have a short document with 10 images, each one with a numbered caption. Each of the figures -- and its caption -- is within an anchored frame. The frame anchor is in the same (single) flow of body text, so we're not talking about different text streams, and we're not talking about some graphics in-line, some in frames, and some in tables. All the graphics are in frames, and their anchors are all in the same flow.

During the approval process with the client, I had to move chunk-o-text B to a position before chunk-o-text A. I did this with a plain vanilla copy-paste. I did not do it by moving the book pages. That chunk-o-text brought with it the frame anchor and the frame containing the graphic.

My expectation was for the captions to renumber themselves automatically. They always have before....

Now I have a situation where the captions appear as:

Caption 1: bj;flkjasd;flkjaf;lk

Caption 2: kakjwoijlkmlfkjals

Caption 4: lkmsadfikalkjasfl

Caption 3: lkajf;lkajfl;kj

Captions 5-10 are all in order. I'm pretty sure this resulted from me moving the block of text and its anchored frame around.

HOWEVER... going to the doc's book file and renumbering all does not straighten out this numbering problem (I have used that solution in the past). Updating cross-references do not change things. Closing and opening the file has no result on the numbering.

I am extremely puzzled.

Are there any suggestions?

Thanks, as always to the community.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Thanks to a tip from BarbBinder that I found in this thread: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/automatic-numbering-gone-wrong/td-p/9632035?page=1 I looked at my doc using Story Editor. I found that in Story Editor (although not on the WYSIWYG page) chunk B still came after chunk A and not before -- and it was that order that the caption numbers were following. I cut-and-pasted in Story Editor, and that got the figure numbering correct... but I still had to go to the page dialog and move on

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks to a tip from BarbBinder that I found in this thread: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/automatic-numbering-gone-wrong/td-p/9632035?page=1 I looked at my doc using Story Editor. I found that in Story Editor (although not on the WYSIWYG page) chunk B still came after chunk A and not before -- and it was that order that the caption numbers were following. I cut-and-pasted in Story Editor, and that got the figure numbering correct... but I still had to go to the page dialog and move one page in front of another to correspond. Whew. Odd, but now I know to review in Story Editor if I'm having order problems with the order of numbered paragraphs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines