• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Numbered List Indented & Aligned

Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to create an indented and aligned numbered list. To do this I created a Body Text Paragraph Style (1st paragraph below) & a Body Text Numbered List Paragraph Style. The numbering is lined up where I want it, indented like the 1st paragraph. However, I would like the space between the numbering and the word "Consider" to be less, and the word "decide" in the 2nd line to line up with that.

My settings are currently Left Indent: 10 in Indents & Spacing and Left Indent: 10 in Bullet or Number position. Seems like when I try to change these settings, I lose the indent that allows the list to line up underneath Paragraph #1.

Please lmk what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!!

Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 11.36.31 PM.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

How's this: 

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 12.17.02 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-18 at 12.17.57 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-18 at 12.18.12 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you try, for example, this settings?

Schermata 2021-02-18 alle 09.17.15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that, yes. This is what I get. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.39.58 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like this?

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 12.09.33 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost like that. The only difference is I'm trying to make the numbers align with the edge of the 1st paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How's this: 

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 12.17.02 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-18 at 12.17.57 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-18 at 12.18.12 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked, very creative! I would never have thought about using a right alignment. If you had a chance to share the logic, I'd love to hear it. Can't quite figure it out. 

Also, I'm not sure what you're showing in the Tab screen. I didn't make any changes to my Tab, but it still seemed to work, as shown in the first image below.

There are a couple of small changes that I'd like to make. First, how do I reduce the space between the number and the word "Consider" in the first image below?

Also, in the 2nd image below, it looks like the number alignment with the first paragraph is ever so slightly off. Not a huge deal, but what numbers would I play with to line that up?

Thanks for your help!!Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 1.28.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 1.28.58 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, well the logic is still escaping me, but I got what I was looking for using 25 ans -6. Thanks!!

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 4.19.32 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you got it, Anthony! Just play around with the settings until you get what you want. That's probably the easiest way for you to learn what I did. Also, you might want to experiment with the numbering alignment. I set them Right, so the decimal points (.) are always aligned vertically. If you align Left, then the first digit of each number will align, but the decimals won't. Your choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are showing a very small hanging indent. You will need to increase the left indent value and the negative first line indent value. What unit of measure are you using? If you are measuring in inches, try 0.5 in and -0.5 in.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried that method, which I thought would work. This is what I get.Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.39.58 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please compare your screen to mine. What is different?

list.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb, I think the diffence is that you're using a Bullets and Numbering paragraph style and anthony1 is using a normal text paragraph style. His numbers are not auto-generated, but added manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. Is there a reason you might use one over the other?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @anthony01:

Interesting. Is there a reason you might use one over the other?

Yes. When you use auto-numbers—outlined on the top right of my screen shot—not only do you get an automatic hanging indent, the numbers will update when you add, remove and rearrange list items. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way I'm doing it, I'm not getting a hanging indent, but the numbers do update automatically. So not sure which method I'm using. Â¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @anthony01:

Try selecting the list, and click the Numbered list button off and back on again, does that help? If not, hold the Alt key (Opt on a Mac) and click the Numbered list button, then share the screen shot.

Also, this question is marked as answered. Is it? Because it sounds like you still aren't there.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines