• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Numbered List starts indenting at Number 10.

New Here ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very new to InDesign.

I've created a numbered list and a paragraph style for the numbered list. I'm using the same indent, negative first line indent, and tab for the whole thing, and it's set in the paragraph style also.

Everything works great until I reach the number 10 on the list, then for 10, 11 and all numbers after that, the next is indenting massively. I've looked at the Bullets and Numbering options for those specific lines and they look identical to everything else.
I also have hidden characters turned on and I see nothing there to give me any clue as to why it's indenting.
I have a picture just below it on it on the design so thought it might be a text wrapping thing, but deleted the photo and it changed nothing.
I've searched online on all I see is issues with counterbalancing the first line indent with the left indent for numbered lists. Nothing on this happening to 2 digit numbers only in the numbered list.

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021
Set those numbers to right align.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set those numbers to right align.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How? This is a terrible answer and I have no idea how it got marked correct. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting those numbers to "right align" does not help at all. This answer is wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you option+click on the numbering button, it will bring up the dialog. If you have trouble getting this to work, show a screen shot so we can see what you have so far. Update the paragraph style after you make the edits.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue. I resolved it by adjusting the tab position at the bottom of the bullets and numbering section in my paragraph style. I think the issue was that the 10. with the extra digit takes up more space on the line and pushes everthing over. 

Hope this makes sense!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly the problem. Thank you. It would be nice if Adobe could patch this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Indent and Tab position settings also have to allow enough space for the numbers:

Screen Shot.pngScreen Shot 1.pngScreen Shot 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can also align the numbers right and the text left, but not with Bullets & Numbering—has to be done manually with a tab on either side of the number. You still have to allow enough space for the two numbers:

Screen Shot 3.png

First tab is Right Justified, the 2nd Left Justified:

Screen Shot 4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines