• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Numbering options: can't get it done...?!? HOW?

Contributor ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am at a loss... I need to number a large document with double numbers (I'm Dutch, sorry if I use the wrong words) and every part has to start over again. So part one has to become:

Part two should look like this:

But whatever I do the second part either looks like this:

...so the second number continues where the first part ended, or it looks like this:

So it starts ALL over again... How can I make part two look like it should?!?!?

Part three should look like this:

and so on. Help! I just can't get it done!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Paragraph Style > Bullets and Numbering > List Type: Numbers > List: should not be [Default] but should be set to a New List ... that you name. You *might* want Continue Numbers Across Stories.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor , Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Never mind! Finally fouond a link that explains it well!

https://redokun.com/blog/indesign-numbered-list#numbered-list-styles 

The trick which I didn't know about is that you have to first set the level and then choose the option 'Insert number placeholder' to add the correct number behind the Number entry. The link explains it better. Just created a basic list when even more sublists. See screenshot. Works like a charm. Finally...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paragraph Style > Bullets and Numbering > List Type: Numbers > List: should not be [Default] but should be set to a New List ... that you name. You *might* want Continue Numbers Across Stories.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I got that far already but it won't work. I must be missing quite a few settings. I watched various video's about the subject but they are all very basic. See attached screenshot for what I have, want and get. I just don't understand how this works at all. Do I need to create a new parahrah style for EVERY part of the document maybe? There are tons of them...!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Never mind! Finally fouond a link that explains it well!

https://redokun.com/blog/indesign-numbered-list#numbered-list-styles 

The trick which I didn't know about is that you have to first set the level and then choose the option 'Insert number placeholder' to add the correct number behind the Number entry. The link explains it better. Just created a basic list when even more sublists. See screenshot. Works like a charm. Finally...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines