• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Numbers typing backwards??? I'm going crazy LOL

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I type 3 - 4 for example it reverses it to 4 - 3. When I type June 23/17 it types June 17/23. What is going on? I have never seen this in all my years using Indesign.

I am on CS6 Mac.

I can't for the life of me understand why I would ever need Indesign to reverse things like that. Anyone have any advice on how to get it back to normal.

It is only like this  in one document. If I start a new document the problem doesn't happen.

Thank you in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

And select the text in the paragraph with the type tool and change the language back to English UK/US

Or change the language before typing.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try restoring your InDesign preferences:

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about Adobe jumping to the rescue and provide an own InDesign-Preference CleanUp-/Restore-/PreInstallValidation-tool for a heap of bucks?
…it starting to annoy me always reading again to "trash prefs" – I see Adobe to secure their Prefs of not getting broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No such luck. Tried that.

It seems anything to do with numbers gets reversed

I just typed Page 15 and it reversed it to 15 Page. This is the oddest thing I have ever seen. Maybe it is a setting I changed  accidentally with an unknown key combination? Although what on earth would you ever want that setting for??lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that happen if you type something into TextEdit or any other app ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I use text edit, Illustrator, Photoshop, Word...etc all day long and no problems.

I am thinking it is specific to just the file because starting a fresh document it doesn't do that.

I just wondering what it is about that file that would cause it to happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be a fonts problem try to change the fonts to something like "Arial"

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the document was started in a Middle Eastern version then the Right to Left reading could still be there - change the Language in the paragraph settings by going to Window>Type & Tables> Paragraphs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And select the text in the paragraph with the type tool and change the language back to English UK/US

Or change the language before typing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly because you have the Middle Eastern version of InDesign installed and you have Arabic language selected in the Paragraph dialog box.

Try switching the language to English Uk or US.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

It does seems to be a case suggested above by Eugene. Styles still holding the right to left direction of typing as it normally happens in ME versions. You can change the text direction or change the paragraph style.

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2018 Jun 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Type > Character

make sure the Language is English

Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 3.35.05 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know its too late but finally found the solution to this. change your text engine from preferences- graphics to european and east asian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This made me crazy too.

Thank you for your kind solution!

Saved my life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the "Languages" menu of the computer, then "Administrative Languages Settings", a dialog box comes up titled "Region". In the "Administrative" tab of the dialog box, make sure "English" is set for non-Unicode programs. Mine was set to Arabic. 

That fixed it for me, when I would type "40-CAD-500", it would correct to "CAD-500--40". I struggled for a year and a half to find a solution until I got a hint on this forum that it could be a right-to-left language setting to be changed to left-to-right setting.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the solution for Adobe Acrobat Pro 2017, so you can try it on the software you're using. 

When editing a document, the Format tool to the right has a box that shows AV and an arrow underneath it.  If the number in that box is not zero, change it to zero.  This fixed my problem!  I stumbled on the solution, but I hope it helps others. 

Grace26361680el6o_0-1664493301636.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Select your Text then go to the Paragraph Menu, hit the Options Botton on the top corner choose

"Adobe single-line Composer" or  "Adobe Every-line Composer" 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines