• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Object States help

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 17 different object states and each one has 4-5 images to click through. I built them out in different layers but once I was done, I combined them so that everything is on one layer. However, when I do the epub preview, I am only able to click through one of the object states. When I export it as an interactive PDF, I can't click any of them though the buttons highlight when I hover over them.

TOPICS
EPUB , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hard to know what's going on - no info on your setup/images/sample files etc.

Try going through some tutorials to see where you're making an error.

https://ajarproductions.com/in5course/?lesson=msos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multistate objects will not export to interactive PDF.

What you see is just a non-interactive graphic of the active state.

FWIW: I do not fully understand how your document is set up.

Can you show some screenshots with the Layers panel fully expanded so that we can see a bit what's going on?

Also select one of your 17 objects and show the properties of that object with the appropriate panel.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the first time I've used INDD so I appreciate any help that I can get. I've attached two screenshots - one of my layers panel and then one of my object state. I used the one that IS working in the epub preview2C95DEDD-D9B2-4F78-B56F-EBC7DC2A6F19.jpeg291D4050-66C8-4D26-9C26-61C4DC45E8AC.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can have a word or words or an image (such as a button shape) as a document hyperlink to say another page in the document, or to an external website. Some devices, for example, iPads, don't have rollover capability – only click – you should avoid multi-action buttons  like On Click, On Roll Over, etc.  Multi-state object (MSO) don’t work at all in an Interactive PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

objects states dont' work on .pdf format and i am pretty sure they dont' work on epub.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But i'm able to click through one of them? What would you suggest doing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They absolutely work in EPUB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two issues here:

1. There is something wrong with how the MSO (Multi-state Object) is set up. In addition to the link from @Eugene Tyson, see https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/user-guide.html/in/indesign/using/interactivity-5.ug.html. Set up properly, it should work in the EIP (Epub Interactive Preview) panel. If it doesn't, something is still wrong with the setup.
  2. MSOs are supported when you output to a fixed layout Epub, Publish Online and HTML5 with in5. They are not supported in a PDF, so even when working in the EIP panel, they will not work in Acrobat or Reader.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried publishing online and it's doing the same thing. I can click through the 'h' MSO, but no other ones. I can click through 'l' if I place my mouse at just the right spot

https://indd.adobe.com/view/44a3b3af-f54f-4fe2-b32e-382adef90ba1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you have multiple MSOs.

You cannot stack them on top of each other. Turn it into one very large MSO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can they still be triggered by different buttons? For instance I only want the pictures that correspond with button 'h' to show when button 'h' is clicked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but it takes very careful planning. What is the end game here?

You started talking about PDF which is a non-starter. How is this content to be used?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are trying to make a virtual admissions map that will be published on our website. It doesn't have to be a PDF, i just thought that that was what was needed. I can embed the link from publishing it online to our website.

We are trying that as prospective families click on a certain area of the map, a box pops up that they can click through pictures and read what that location is. There are 16 different buttons or areas.

https://indd.adobe.com/view/44a3b3af-f54f-4fe2-b32e-382adef90ba1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite frankly, you should be doing this as part of the website, not with InDesign. Publish online is not responsive!

It's going to look like crap on a mobile device.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I do not know how to build this directly into our website, hence trying to do it this way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it a WordPress site?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not. Its created through Blackbaud education management systems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Not familiar with...sorry. I could have offered advice with WordPress.

You're going to need to combine those MSOs into one if you want this to work. I've done MSOs in the past that had close to 100 states.

Lots of work but it can be done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it work as expected in the EIP panel in InDesign?

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines