Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Object style of primary frame is overriden when text is placed

Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I created a primary frame on my master, applied an object style to it.

When I place some text in that frame on a page that object style is overriden (it doesn't keep a paragraph style), I have to reapply it again. I tried differnt types of text files - .rtf, .docx, .txt - didn't help.

What I do wrong?

Thank you in advance

Vera

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Hi Vera,

ah, yes, this is a problem, that cannot be solved in the user interface automatically:

Apply a cascade of styles ( Next Style: ) when importing a text that is running through more than one text frames.

You can do it after the text is imported in a second step.

For that you need all the text in the whole story selected and a menu command that is hard to find.

It's in the context menu of your paragraph style in the paragraph style panel.

Apply Style "Style Name" and then Next Style.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do not know where you find the difference select such a frame with a + added and create a new object style. In its defintion you will see what is making the difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know what's a difference - it's in my post - paragraph style is not respected.

My question is why it happens and what to do? I expect the frame to impose the given paragraph style on the placed text, but it doesn't work that way, but does opposite - the text changes my frame style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paragraph style is only working if the frame is not linked. But a primary text frame is alwas linked and so it is useless to activate the paragraph style section in an object style as it cannot be applied anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that's what I wanted to understand - whether I do something wrong or is it a normal behavior. Too bad that a paragraph style can not be applied from the primary frame, maybe I should put it in a wish list...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My recommendation is, make the style without a paragraph style reference.

I have found a workaround:

1. I create an import obect style with a paragraph + next style definition.
  2. When I import (e.g. a Word docx) a text I draw a small text frame with a curser.
  3. If not the style from step 1 is applied to this frame, I apply it now.
  4. Now, NOW and not before, I link this text frame to the primary text frame, so the formatted text flows in.
  5. I can now delet the text frame from step 2.

It makes sense that paragraph and next paragraph does not apply to linked stories. What if the linked frames have different parapgraph style settings or different object styles applied? Which style wins? What would happen, if you apply an object style later. It could cause several problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vera,

I think, it should be possible to get the paragraph style of the object style you applied.

Before you import the text you have to define the applied object style as default object style.

That should work independently if the the target text frame is a primary text frame or not.

Just tested this. And it is working.

From my German InDesign. Two primary text frames selected on master A.

The applied object style is the default object style for text frames. I dragged the little [T] widget from my basic object style for text frames to my custom object style I did with a new paragraph style named "MyParaStyle":

01-SetUp-Of-PrimaryTextFrames.PNG

If I import text from a text file the paragraph style "MayParaStyle" will be used all over the placed text. Pages and frames are automatically added as needed:

02-AfterPlacing-TextFile.PNG

You can download my test documents from my Dropbox account:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rm9cgskp4yr9f14/PrimaryTextFrames-and-CustomObjectStyle-as-Default.zip?dl=...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe

Thank you for your responce.

I wasn't able to open your files, because I am in SC6, but screen shots are clear, thank you.  

May be it's difficult to see (your second paragraph is covered by the palette) or your paragraph styles don't differ much - but I don't see your "next pargraph" style applyed in your placed text (First par. suppose to be somethiing based on "Kein Abzats" and after that suppose to go "Gleiches", because in Object style definition "Next style" is checked). This is my problem - when I place a text it goes with the first paragraph style (all texyt) and doesn't apply the next one. Actually, I am trying today and can not get it work right even on the Master itself. Though the styling is there: if I just type the text - it styles correctly ((my first style, then next and next), but when I place (via comm+D or copy+paste) - text takes only the first style (all paragraphs).

I would like to give you my test file to look at, but I don't use Dropbox, so not sure how to pass it?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions

Vera

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vera,

ah, yes, this is a problem, that cannot be solved in the user interface automatically:

Apply a cascade of styles ( Next Style: ) when importing a text that is running through more than one text frames.

You can do it after the text is imported in a second step.

For that you need all the text in the whole story selected and a menu command that is hard to find.

It's in the context menu of your paragraph style in the paragraph style panel.

Apply Style "Style Name" and then Next Style. From my German InDesign:

ApplyStyle-ThenNextStyles.png

Where is “Apply __ then Next Style”?
Anne-Marie Concepcion March 15, 2007

https://indesignsecrets.com/where-is-apply-__-then-next-style.php

FWIW: The zip-file I posted the link to should contain an IDML file.

You could open the IDML file with your InDesign CS6.

NOTE: This file does not contain a cascade of paragraph styles.

To test this import your own paragraph styles.

Ah. Forgot. Here the result of my action to apply "ParaStyle-1" and then "Next Style":

ApplyStyle-ThenNextStyle-RESULT.png

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

EDITED POST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much!

This trick I know, just wondered if I could do "Next Style" via the frame...

I have another question about use of "next style", but guess I better ask it separately

Cheers

Vera

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines