Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Object style over grouped objects withan object style

Engaged ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I have a group of two objects. On both I allready have aplied an objekt style.

As we know (or, it´s my known) we can´t apply a shadow to two objects before we put them together in a group, because the object on the top dropping his shaddow on the object beneath.

I created an extra object style with only the shadow feature and tried to apply to the group, but it happens one by one to the objects not o the group as a whole.

Unbenannt.JPG

Is it possible to apply an extra object style to a group as I want to do?

TOPICS
Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post meaningful screenshots that include at least the Layers and Effects Panels? 

In my test the Style gets applied to the Group and the contained objects – far from ideal but one can remove the drop shadow from the objects manually. 

Screenshot 2021-03-15 at 10.40.38.pngScreenshot 2021-03-15 at 10.40.43.pngScreenshot 2021-03-15 at 10.42.03.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workaround is clear to me.

But I wanted to have an object style with nothing but the shadow I can apply to a group consisting of elements which has an object style applied already.

Unbenannt.JPG

On the top are the two elements ungrouped, with the object style"SF_Stoere_gelb_klein" each.

Beneath, the group of two elements, getting an other object style (with the shadow).

In practice, the object style of the individual elements has been overwritten with that of the entire group, and the shadow of the upper element is visible on the element below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could work the other way round, starting with applying a Style to the Group (that omits fill for example), then applying the Styles to the contained objects. 

The issue unfortunately appears to be known … 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/applying-an-object-style-to-a-group/m-p/9959458

I haven’t tested this script, but maybe you want to give it a try: 

https://www.id-extras.com/how-to-apply-an-object-style-to-a-group-without-affecting-the-stuff-in-the...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines