Highlighted

Old CS3 install & activation

New Here ,
Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As many other I read about inline, I had to change my old pc with a new one and I wasn't able to reinstall my old InDesign CS3 I do use very rarely with old files. My job doesn't require to purchase a subscription. Online activation no longer works, but I was able to install and older Photoshop CS2 because some years ago Adobe let me download an activating free installer. I do have two licensed PageMaker, two InDesign I bought as upgrade and a Photoshop CS2. A dozen years ago I paid almost 4000 euros for those apps and now Adobe's support tells me my licenses is wastepaper. Does anyone have the installer free for InDesign CS3 so I can open my files? I do repeat: I do have two purchased, regular licenses.

And don't tell me about "old software bla bla bla", because it worked ok with Win 8.1 and 10, and I don't need a new one as I use it very rarely.

Thanks

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

Hi Sheena,

issues like that cannot be resolved. The only option not to subscribe is to install a legal perpetual version of InDesign CS4, CS5, CS5.5 or CS6 on the machine and work on with that.

That a once bought perpetual version of CS3 can be installed, but perhaps only as a 30-days trial, is very unfortunate.

That it cannot be activated, because the activation servers are down, are understandable.

But that the special CS3 version that once was offered instead is not available anymore is a scandal.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Old CS3 install & activation

New Here ,
Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As many other I read about inline, I had to change my old pc with a new one and I wasn't able to reinstall my old InDesign CS3 I do use very rarely with old files. My job doesn't require to purchase a subscription. Online activation no longer works, but I was able to install and older Photoshop CS2 because some years ago Adobe let me download an activating free installer. I do have two licensed PageMaker, two InDesign I bought as upgrade and a Photoshop CS2. A dozen years ago I paid almost 4000 euros for those apps and now Adobe's support tells me my licenses is wastepaper. Does anyone have the installer free for InDesign CS3 so I can open my files? I do repeat: I do have two purchased, regular licenses.

And don't tell me about "old software bla bla bla", because it worked ok with Win 8.1 and 10, and I don't need a new one as I use it very rarely.

Thanks

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

Hi Sheena,

issues like that cannot be resolved. The only option not to subscribe is to install a legal perpetual version of InDesign CS4, CS5, CS5.5 or CS6 on the machine and work on with that.

That a once bought perpetual version of CS3 can be installed, but perhaps only as a 30-days trial, is very unfortunate.

That it cannot be activated, because the activation servers are down, are understandable.

But that the special CS3 version that once was offered instead is not available anymore is a scandal.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do want to use a new version of InDesign that's compatible with your OS, but you only want to use it occasionally, you can pay a bit more and just pay by the month(s) you need it. Just a thought.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 13, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am hoping that your issue has been resolved till now. If not, please feel free to update this thread else let us know if any of the suggestions shared above helped you or not.

Regards,

Sheena

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2020 0
Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sheena,

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem ist that InDesign CS3 was the last version beein able to read PageMaker files. And sometimes (as an example technical manuals) is would be necessary to get rid of those very old files by transforming them to somethow actual useful file formats.

Whether CS4, CS5, CS6 or rent versions of Creative Cloud can solve this problem. Therefore I have perchased a additional licence of ID CS3 after recognizing that CS4 would not do the job. To by adobe licences was - from the vantage point of the present - the wrong way. There are a lot of licences from other software manufacturers normal working on my computer. Even with todays operating systems. Even ID CS3 could work with Windows 10 - but not long without activation.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is all incorrect. CS6 was the last version that could open PM files, not CS3.

Additionally, CS4, 5, 5.5 and CS6 were perpetual versions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020 1
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ernst,

why do you think, that InDesign CS4 cannot open and convert PageMaker files?

I think that's possible with CS4 through even CS6.

If you have a test PageMaker document I would like to convert it with CS6 to InDesign.

Put in on Dropbox and share a link.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020 1
ernst_w LATEST
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

thanks a lot!

I thought it wouldn't work because I tried with CS4 and CS5 in former times and it did not work. Support told me at tis point that InDesign CS3 is the last version to open PM-files. Nobody would need this feature any longer.

As I am working with CS6 I tried again after your reply. And it works. I am more than astonished you can believe. And I had a nearer look on my CS6 installation with which I never tried to open PMDs since I installed. There is a PMReaderApp.exe which I had never recognized before. Could be the cause...

However: It work! And again: Many thanks to you!

P.S.: Seems I have to hurry up and change my working base. For me CC is not the solution. I'm not working for business any longer, just making books for me and my friends, at the moment with Adobe InDesign only. For me it's too much money and nobody else would pay the monthly rent. LR & Photoshop could be okay but does not help me and InDesign is to much money for my use.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020 0